PDA

View Full Version : Feels like fall Steelhead weather to me................

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Traditionally we start to think about Summer/Fall Steelhead any time after the 4th of July.

After that they seem to filter into many of the long west coast drainages like the Sacramento, Klamath, Rogue, Umpqua, and Columbia.

Salmon swim up these rivers all summer in small numbers and so do the Steelhead.

In the warm bright weather we just need to get up at O-dark-thirty so you can be heading down a nice run at 6:00 am.

Many years ago I read Bill McMillan's wonderful book "Dry Line Steelhead and Other Subjects" by Amato Publications. I think this was a dozen or so magazine articles that Bill had written and then they made a great paperback book out of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Line-Steelhead-Other-Subjects/dp/0936608625

Get this book used on amazon and read it.....

I do 90% of my fall Steelheading with a floating line, tapered leader and classic dark colored winged size 6 Steelhead fly.

I highly recommend you hone your skills on the valley rivers like the Lower American, Lower Yuba and Lower Feather Rivers.

Then try to get up to the KLamath, Trinity or Rogue Rivers in Sept/Oct/Nov with a good guide who poprotes swinging flies as we do.

You can get out on these river soon with one of our local instructors or guides for a day of education for classic Steelheading.

The only down side of getting into fall Steelheading is the fact that it well pretty much end your fall trout fishing career.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Many of us in the Sacramento area will be getting out in the AM and the PM for early Steelhead on the Lower Americvan River now......

Late August to early September is the traditional time that we get in nice fresh schools of Half-pounder Steelhead in our river so be reading this messsage board to get that info when it happens.