PDA

View Full Version : NF Yuba report

EricO
08-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Hit the NF Yuba on Saturday with my wife and the 2 and 3 weights rods in tow. Lots of fish hitting the surface in the morning, but mostly dinks. Was determined to fish only dries, but decided to throw on a few split shot after nothing landed. Finally brought a 10 incher to hand in a nice run below Goodyears creek.

Decided to drive up to Downieville and chill for a bit, eat some ice cream, watch the mountain bikers come into town all beat up.

Figured we might as well drive to Sierra City and hit one of our usual places. Lots of pocket water. We ended up catching over a dozen. Best flies were sz 12 stimulater, 14 & 16 parachute adams and foam hoppers. Had a few nice ones (well nice is relative...12 inchers at best) come up, but if you missed 'em you don't get another shot. Man, some of the colors of the fish were so beautiful. All spotted up with parr marks, pale yellow stomachs. Never get tired of fish the NF.

It was fun to fish the light rods. My wife will NEVER us my 2wt again though. It's an Orvis full flex and pretty hard to use in pocket water since it loads PAINFULLY slow. I let her use my Orvis 3 wt Hydros and she was happy again.

Finished the day with a cold Bloody Mary (we were jonesin for one when we saw the advertised sign) at the Old Sierra City Hotel & Bar. Made from scratch and tasty!!!

Headed back down towards Rocklin but made a quick calorie bomb stop at In-N-Out in Auburn. Umm umm good.

Next time we'll probably head up late afternoon and fish the evening because the fish were WAY more active on the surface later in the day.

EO

Troutstalker55B
08-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the report EO. Water temps are way down in the Sierra City area up through the falls, and to the springs thanks to this cooler weather. 55 degrees at 8:30 am rising to 63 by late afternoon. The fish are looking up for hoppers in the afternoon as well. The bigger fish C&R by my clients have been three 11 inchers, two at 12", and one at 13" this summer. There is so much good water to fish on that river it's ridiculous. If you go back up stop by Sierra Hardware in Downieville and check out my new dropper nymph I developed for the NFYR, aptly named the "Wild Plum".

Thanks again for the great report.

EricO
08-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi Jon,

For sure I'll stop in there and pick up some of those patterns. Actually, one of your reports I read was what got us
off our butts to go fish the NF. I hadn't fished it at all this summer.

Yes we noticed the water temps had dropped a ton. Well, not me so much, but when I heard my wife exhale loudly from
stepping into the water (sans waders), I knew it was a bit chilly!

Thanks for your reports.

EO

Troutstalker55B
08-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi Jon,

For sure I'll stop in there and pick up some of those patterns. Actually, one of your reports I read was what got us
off our butts to go fish the NF. I hadn't fished it at all this summer.

Yes we noticed the water temps had dropped a ton. Well, not me so much, but when I heard my wife exhale loudly from
stepping into the water (sans waders), I knew it was a bit chilly!

Thanks for your reports.

EO

Glad you got out there, love that Canyon Water!

Fly Guy Dave
08-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a great trip with the wife, accompanied by appropriate beverages as well. Glad you can get your wife out on the water with you, which makes the whole experience even better, no doubt.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave

Pichungo
08-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Hello JoN, thx for the report. Is the water a good wading place for a 12 year old kid? Is it easy wading? Did you have to make far casts or was it mostly pocket water?

Thx,

Ricardo

Troutstalker55B
08-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Ricardo,

The NFYR is a perfect place for kids because it can actually wear them out, they will catch fish, and they will not get bored. The river is low so there is not much wading to do except for getting around big boulders on the side water. It's all pocket water and plunge pools, yellow stimi or hopper pattern with a dropper is really all you need - short line / high stick.

Have a great time, I'll be up there in the neighborhood.

Braden
08-26-2013, 09:22 AM
My family and I camped up at the Loganville CG this past weekend and had a really nice time. I have a 2 and a 4 year old, so I knew I wouldn't get much fishing in, but did get about an hour on Saturday afternoon in the area below the campground. Caught a half dozen little guys, the largest probably about 7 inches. Had fun though, and my kids got to see some little trout up close and help me release them. The water was cold!

It had probably been 10 years since I'd fished the NFYR...I was really happy to be back up in that canyon.