PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon Cay Lodge

Hatch
08-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I just returned from Tarpon Cay Lodge in San Felipe, Northern Yucatan. My group booked this trip through Keith Kineko of Angling on the Fly. We did a 5 night, 4 day package. The small, colorful town was quaint and nice. The hotel staff was terrific, and the food was truly a great: a mix of classic mexican fare and one night of traditional Mayan cuisine.

The fishing is done in small pangas customized for fly fishing with two anglers to a boat. The tides were such that we did double shifts, 6 till 11:30 A.M. then a lunch/siesta/beer break, and then back on the water from 4 till 7:30 P.M. One of the days we opted to have lunch and then go to one of the nearby island to search of bone fish. We found small barracuda, pufferfish, catfish, needles, snapper and jacks, but no bones. Still a fun trip.

The guides spoke English well and were as focused and talented as could be; a pleasure to fish with for a full day. As a group, we had only limited experience fishing for tarpon, but after four days of targeting them, we were well-versed in how tough they can be. Day one was a bit slow, but we all had multiple shots and every one jumped, hooked, and lost their share of fish with 5 out of 6 of us landing them.

Day two was flat calm so the decision was made to make the longer run to look for adult/migratory tarpon. We found them, but they seemed to stay out of range for the most part and our group had only had one grab. The fish was in the 40# class. After lunch, we went back to the baby tarpon, and even though the wind came up, we all had chances at fish.

Day three was calm again and we headed out, each to different locations. We all found nice schools of fish. My boat went to a large flat and we each caught fish at the first river mouth. As we were heading to the next mouth, we were treated to what this area is famous for: hundreds of tarpon in a large scattered school! There were so many that it made it very difficult to get a grab because you would cast to a specific rolling fish only to spook several of his mates. Frustrating at times, but "Champagne Problems," right? My fishing partner for the day, Robert, and I concluded after the morning spectacle that it was one of the greatest fishing experiences of our lives. Awesome does not come close to describe what we experienced!!! We went back to the lodge for Lunch/Beer/Siesta and more tarpon.

On the last day, calm again, one boat went long for adults, but found very few with no grabs. But they fished the off-shore cenotes for a few jacks, snapper and one African Pompano. The other 2 boats opted to fish all morning and into the afternoon with out a siesta break, finishing up around 3 P.M. My boat stayed close and once again found "Tarpon Nirvana." We were surrounded by rolling fish for two straight hours and came close to doubling up on several occasions, but I could not close the deal. Once again I was astonished at the amount of fish. An absolute treat!! This area is truly an amazing place: Crocodiles, Iguanas, Flamingos, Rosetta Spoonbills, Ospreys, Black Vultures, and more Frigates than I have ever seen. There were also grasshoppers bigger than my iPhone, Tarantulas, Sea Turtles, Spotted Eagle Rays in large schools and, oh yea, a ton of freek'n Tarpon. Did I mention that while we saw lots of local fishermen in search of octopus and barracuda, in the four days on the water, we saw not one other boat or angler doing what we were doing? We had the place to ourselves! Will I be back?--- Hell, Yes! Can't Wait!!

HATCH

k.hanley
08-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Hatch I'm really happy that the trip worked out so well for you guys. It is without question one of my favorite spots to be.
Cheers, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2013, 08:34 PM
This is the best trip of all in my salt water flats travel.

http://www.anglingonthefly.com/TarponCayLodge.html

I like July/August for calm weather.

5 to 20 pound baby Tarpon in clear shallow flats on an 8 weight fly rod with a floating line is pretty wild.

Plus a chance for big 50 to 150 pound adults too.

Rick J
08-11-2013, 08:58 PM
take a look at the link in the thread below for a recent trip my brother and I took - early July - the best out of 3 I have had - saw more pods and bigger pods than in the past - we went out for big fish two days but called one day pretty quickly and came back in after the babies. But our first trip out I did manage one fish around 50# - actually broke my very old G series HP 10 wt Scott but still managed to land the fish! And my brother jumped one around 30#.

But to me, I much prefer the "babies" and would not care if we did not venture out for the bigger fish - these fish are fast and furious - you still get that initial hellacious grab and some great jumps and if you are lucky, they come unbuttoned after about the third jump so you can go after the next one!!!!

Really like the idea of going out in the AM and resting during the heat of the day and heading out again in the late PM - really focus on the tarpon's active periods - can't think of a better venue for flats fishing for tarpon!!!!

Tony
08-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Hatch,

looks like a great place.

Any Snook?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Great Rick....

My last trip there in July 2012 with Aaron Stiny was my best ever.

We really spanked 'em....

DLJeff
08-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Was Beto still there making margaritas in beer mugs so they're ready for you as you pull back into the marina?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Last summer I told Beto he has put on a few pounds.

Rick J
08-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Jeff - first thing handed to me when I got off the van!!!!!!!

I would recommend to anyone who thinks they want to go - if you do not know it now - learn the double haul and practice casting in wind!!!

wind is not a fly fisherman's friend - a few years ago a group (including Bill) went to Isla de Sabalo - great place but one in the group could not really cast much past 40 feet and I think he had one grab during the week!!! Not a way to spend your $s and then do not become at least somewhat proficient. It really helps to be able to lay out a long line on your back cast for a lot of the opportunities that arise!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-12-2013, 07:39 AM
As Rick has stated, fly casting is a hudge deal when it comes to salt water fly fishing.

Lee Haskin
08-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Great Report, Hatch!

TCL is a very special place, and a great place to start fly fishing in the salt.
What flies worked best for you?

Cheers,
Lee

mar
08-12-2013, 10:08 AM
AWESOME stuff Hatch!! That looks like a ton of fun. My fishing bucket list just got longer.
Check your e-mail.

Leo
08-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Hey Rick, long time no see, glad to see that you and your brother are still making the yearly pilgrimage.
Do you remember what year it was when we did a number on them? Are you still using the leader system?

Leo

Rick J
08-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Leo - 2006 was the year - it was my first year there and yes I am still using the twisted leaders at least when chasing the bigger migratory fish - have not had a break off since going to that leader system

Best,
Rick