PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Report

dickwhite
08-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Just got back from 3 nights in Desolation. And yes there are still fish up there. You just have to work a little harder and put on your thinking cap to find them. Look for lakes that have viable spawning streams or ones known to have brookies. Stocking stopped here years ago so naturally sustained populations are the key. The Forest Service has also removed the fish from some lakes around Aloha to help out the frogs.

One benefit of the dry year was that there were almost no mosquitos. It was an amazing trip with the family. The kids are out hiking Mom and Dan now. Water was nice an cool so C&R was no problem. A couple of the lakes were down right cold.

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B

ted1
08-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Did you happen to fish Aloha? Planning a trip up there before year end and hoping there are a few left in there.
Ted

dickwhite
08-11-2013, 01:00 PM
We missed Aloha this trip. We spent a night at Aloha last year, no fish seen or caught. Last time I saw a fish in Aloha was over 5 years ago. 1 lone rainbow. That drainage seems to be one that the FS is trying to get back to fishless, for the yellow legged frog. Not sure how that fits in with the reservoir aspect of Aloha and major changes in water level. It's a completely artificial situation. Ralph might know more about this. He's been on the forefront of this issue.

Dick W.

Bob Loblaw
08-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I used to do a lot of backpacking in Desolation. A group of friends and I used to climb Pyramid Peak starting down just east of Strawberry and going up Rocky Creek. Steep as hell! We'd camp on top and watch the 4th of July fireworks for half of Northern California.

I used to catch some nice rainbows in Lake of the Woods and once caught a Golden near there. On one trip I was hiking near the dam and in a little narrow inlet there I saw what looked like every trout in the lake stacked up together gulping bugs off the surface....the wind was blowing surface insect on the lake into that little canyon and the fish were gorging. Of course I didn't have a rod with me but it was fun to watch for an hour.

Morgan
08-13-2013, 10:34 PM
There is talk and some action in some of the lakes tributaries and drainages to try and remove all the non native fish. This includes everything but the cutthroats. From fallen leaf lake area to the truckee and the lakes tribs. This means killing off our beautiful browns and rainbows. This makes no sense at all because the rivers, lakes etc will never get back to normal. Lake Tahoe used to have monsterous cutthroats that were commercially fished and basically wiped out and then the mackinaw were added. Thus decimating the chance for the cutts. IMO killing off the fish in these lakes is also a waste of time. Let em be. The frogs will survive.

bigfly
08-14-2013, 07:34 PM
I know a biologist, that hopes to remove all fish except natives in the Truckee river..
I might not mind, if they took out the Dams for a complete run for the Cutthroat.
Pyramid to Fallen leaf.....forty pound fish????? But, the Dams will stay.
They will want a piece-meal fishery that must be constantly fixed....
I understand resetting the ecological clock to before we "ruined it"....
By importing fish from Europe, and the McCloud....... or where-ever......
But nuke the T like Davis?
Otherwise, I hope they will keep the Browns and Bows in the Truckee river.
They have game......
But, Cutthroat cannot compete with them, and so, bows etc. must go.
Personally, I think houses should go too.
Lets take it alllllll the way back.......
Just imagine, no trains or freeways, miles of quiet.
And seriously unspooky fish.
Dream-on........

Jim

Morgan
08-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Personally, I think houses should go too.
Lets take it alllllll the way back.......
Just imagine, no trains or freeways, miles of quiet.
And seriously unspooky fish.
Dream-on........

Jim

Jim

I like this idea Jim.
We can always dream.