PDA

View Full Version : Need help with metalhead boatworks pram and drift boat

markli
08-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Hello all. I would like to copy and build a metalhead boatworks pram, drift boat, and possibly also the small jet sled in stitch & glue plywood. If anyone has one of these boats, could I get some basic measurements in order to duplicate the hull shape? If you know a metalhead owner, I would appreciate a gentle inquiry into whether they would be willing to help out. As many of you know, these were exceptionally designed and crafted boats. Thanks in advance!

Mark

Ed Wahl
08-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Hi Mark. I'm a proud owner of an 8ft Metalhead pram. I love that little boat. Be glad to help you out. Another board member, Shigspeed, took a bunch of measurements a couple of years ago with your idea in mind, he may, er, what am I thinking, he'll still have all the data he took back then. How about it Shig? So Mark, Pipersville, Pa? And you know of Metalheads? How'd that come about? Ed

markli
08-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Ed! Sent you a PM

SHigSpeed
08-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi Mark. I'm a proud owner of an 8ft Metalhead pram. I love that little boat. Be glad to help you out. Another board member, Shigspeed, took a bunch of measurements a couple of years ago with your idea in mind, he may, er, what am I thinking, he'll still have all the data he took back then. How about it Shig? So Mark, Pipersville, Pa? And you know of Metalheads? How'd that come about? Ed
Lol... Yeah, I have photos and dimensions around where somewheres.

Heck, since I actually seem to be "done" designing the tube, maybe I'll get back to building the boat?

_SHig

markli
08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Lol... Yeah, I have photos and dimensions around where somewheres.

Heck, since I actually seem to be "done" designing the tube, maybe I'll get back to building the boat?

_SHig

Thanks SHig!

SHigSpeed
08-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks SHig!
When you're done I'll trade you a pram for a tube for the service. ;)

_SHig

Geoff H.
09-02-2013, 09:51 AM
I have a 10' Metalhead that I am considering selling because I just don't use it that much anymore. I could let you measure it if you ever find yourself in Redding.

Rockman
09-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Send me a pm if you decide to sell it, I have a perfect little trailer to haul it around and will give it a great new home! :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Many years ago they use to make small, extremely light weight 8 foot prams over on the coast around Eureka called 'sneak boats'.

I think they used 1/4" marine plywood so they were very light so guys could put them on their back and hike to the river.

They used them on the lower smooth reaches of coastal rivers, called 'tide water'.

The trouble with many small prams is they are either too heavy or they have too much rocker which makes them hard to row on flat water.

The most stable 8 foot prams where the Valco and Western prams which were basically a 4' x 8' sheet of 0.050" aluminum with short sides.

As soon as you make dynamic hulls they are not stable for standing and casting.

Prams are for either flat water, like lakes and tide water, or they are for floating rivers and going through small riffles/rapids.

Maybe I will try to make my own aluminum super light 8 foot pram?

Brian @ Sutter Marine in Yuba City use to see the Valco prams and now he was working on building something like them again with a local builder.

tfish
09-28-2013, 11:16 AM
I've made a few (12?) wooden prams using stitch and glue over the years. The lightest one was 47#. I have a 6' pram I made for my son when he was very young IIRC it was 36# (I still have it..grand kids now) I've made 9 aluminum prams recently for my buddies. I use .063 aluminum for them and ice chest for the seat (flotation) They are a tad longer then the standard 8 foot prams. I do the basic stitch and weld method . Below are some links that may help you design and build your pram.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONAQVCXD9lw test drive..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AOT0s-_BtY testing flotation...I've switched to full length runners on the bottom..my yellow lab did not like it oil canning as we motored around for Halibut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf7cVOJH6WE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUYcq-i_pGkjLNzjmn6-BNgg each of my buddies had to help me build their prams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m42hrbVoOxU my youngest son.

Tony