PDA

View Full Version : Which Steelhead River? - Week of 18-22 December

flyaster99
08-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Hi,

I may have the week before Christmas to do some Steelhead fishing and would appreciate any recommendations for general locations and guide services in the Pacific North-West. I know it may not be the most ideal period but a few days on the river is better than nothing..:)

Some considerations are :
1. Least possibility of river blowing out : I don't have flexibility of time so its important to minimise the possibility of a river blow out
2. Spey and Swing : While I am not totally adversed to indicator & nymph if I absolutely need to do it, but it will be nice if the river is suited for swinging a fly with a Spey rod.
3. Hatchery fish are just fine. :o

Any recommendations will be much appreciated! Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Winter Steelheading (Dec-March) is all dependant on the rain fall.

You could call some shops and look at the reports on the web the week before you leave.

I always recommened October for swinging flies, as it is my favorite month for fall Steelhead.

Mike R
08-01-2013, 09:33 AM
That time of year, you're totally at the mercy of the weather. But, there's usually a solid run of hatchery fish in the WA rivers that time of year. Don't know how willing they are to jump on the fly but they sure do smoke up nice.

shawn kempkes
08-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Here's my 2 cents. If it was me and the only time I had to fish was the week in Question. I would either go to christmas island or New Zealand and fish for trout. That time of year here in the Northwest is the coldest wettest time of year. Plus theres only hatchery steelhead around then and most of the fish have either been caught in a tribal gillnet or have already been in the hatchery for a couple of weeks already. Sure a blind squirrel sometimes gets a nut. Feb, march and April are the times to pursue steelhead with a fly.
The Hatchery fish don't bite flies worth a crap all they are programmed to do is run straight to the hatchery.

winxp_man
08-01-2013, 12:35 PM
The Hatchery fish don't bite flies worth a crap all they are programmed to do is run straight to the hatchery.

I would have to disagree. I'm not going to start any crap as to why because we have enought BS on this forum. Just simply saying I disagree.

JasonB
08-01-2013, 07:01 PM
I would have to disagree. I'm not going to start any crap as to why because we have enought BS on this forum. Just simply saying I disagree.

I would have to agree with you on both points. If I can get a steelhead (yep some were certainly hatchery fish) to bite a fly on the swing, then most certainly someone who has a few more years practice that can have some success from time to time.

To the OP, I'd have to say that others have put it well as far as that time frame being very uncertain. You could certainly plan to visit any of the nice rivers of the north coast and if there was a minor blowout on one then there may be other options within a few hours drive. A more major blowout is of course highly possible that time of year, in which case...??? Pretty tough to time a productive steelhead trip in the winter I think, but then again it's not a bad time to be out and about in the rain and snow. Never know if you might get lucky, but can be very rewarding even if the fishing isn't that productive.

Good luck,
JB

shawn kempkes
08-01-2013, 10:04 PM
I would have to agree with you on both points. If I can get a steelhead (yep some were certainly hatchery fish) to bite a fly on the swing, then most certainly someone who has a few more years practice that can have some success from time to time.

To the OP, I'd have to say that others have put it well as far as that time frame being very uncertain. You could certainly plan to visit any of the nice rivers of the north coast and if there was a minor blowout on one then there may be other options within a few hours drive. A more major blowout is of course highly possible that time of year, in which case...??? Pretty tough to time a productive steelhead trip in the winter I think, but then again it's not a bad time to be out and about in the rain and snow. Never know if you might get lucky, but can be very rewarding even if the fishing isn't that productive.

Good luck,
JB

The rivers in WA and Oregon in december are 10 to 15 degrees colder than they are in California. I have literally had to break ice to get to the rivers. Never happens in CA.

first week of Jan Hoh river 2012

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/fishhawk1/001-2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fishhawk1/media/001-2.jpg.html)

Dec 31 solduc river 2010. It rained 9 inches over night and the river went to flood stage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/fishhawk1/IMG_0731.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fishhawk1/media/IMG_0731.jpg.html)

The rivers on The OP i fish. The hatchery fish only have about 5 miles to travel from tidewater to get to the hatchery they get there in about 12 hours.

PatrickM
08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
I believe a few of the rivers in the Portland area get some early winter fish in December.
Look up the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches or the Gorge Fly Shop in Hood River. They should be able to steer you right.
How's the summer run in Singapore this year?

jbird
08-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Thats about the time the first big wild fish show up in the Smith. Sometimes some late chinook if I remember correctly. The nice thing about the Smith is it clears quickly after a blow. The Chetco is of similar character and close by.

flyaster99
08-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the information and advise. I must admit that for someone that lives on the equator, the conditions does look a little bleak for that period. :eek: I'll look up the several regions mentioned above in Portland and North Cal to see if anything turns up. Thanks again and best regards.

{PS for PM : The local run of Peacock Bass in Singapore happen all year long and are always willing and able... :)}
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/ShadowCaster88/6lbbass.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ShadowCaster88/media/6lbbass.jpg.html)

PatrickM
08-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Nice! Didn't know you had peacocks down there.
Good luck wherever you end up going.