PDA

View Full Version : Leaky waders

Larry66666
07-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Any tips on how to locate the leak in an old pair of breathable, non-goretex waders?

SHigSpeed
07-30-2013, 04:35 PM
The way I've done it in the past was by flipping them inside-out and filling them up with water. You may see dark spots where the leak is depending on what the lining looks like. You must have a general idea of where they are right?

_SHig

Rockman
07-30-2013, 05:07 PM
A flashlight in a dark room works. Also, your waders are still dry to put your aqua-seal or whatever your using on them.

SHigSpeed
07-30-2013, 05:12 PM
A flashlight in a dark room works. Also, your waders are still dry to put your aqua-seal or whatever your using on them.
Yup, this works too unless there's a weep at a bad tape joint.

_SHig

jbird
07-30-2013, 06:50 PM
The way I've done it in the past was by flipping them inside-out and filling them up with water. You may see dark spots where the leak is depending on what the lining looks like. You must have a general idea of where they are right?

_SHig

This is how I do it too. Do yourself a favor and only fill the area you suspect. Waders can hold a LOT of water. Tie off the leg below the leak rather than filling it all the way up.

gitt
07-30-2013, 07:25 PM
REI carries a product called Seam Seal that worked wonders on an old pair of breathables for me. Seam tape separation was the primary culprit at the neoprene and breathable material interface where it was sewn or attached together. Was even able to seal a tear with the product and plastic wrap to hold the sealer in place- had to do a couple of buildups, but it worked. I have used Seam Seal on rain gear where seam tape separated and tent rain flies a well as waterproof tent tubs. If you have any separation of seam tape, work it off to the best of your ability before applying Seam Sealer or Aqua-seal and work the sealer into the fabric in order to get a good seal. Then reapply the tape. Sometimes the tape doesn't stick immediately and you might have to babysit the sealer until it becomes tacky and begins to adhere. Surgical or rubber gloves help keeps the sealer off your fingers. Once dry, you have to peel it off or wait for the adhesive to wear off. Again, tape joint failures are primary areas of leaks in my experience. Of course, I do not walk through berry patches intentionally. Stress areas like the crouch, if you use a float tube can also be an area to focus on in your repair. Hope this helps.

Ralph
07-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Throw the waders in a washing machine. Many times the leak is caused by a thorn or sticker holding open the fabric. A washing will soften the thorn, wash it away and the leak will disappear. If that doesn't work wipe the inside of the waders with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. Leaks will present as gray spots. Smear a dab of Seam Seal over any gray spots. This is exactly what a factory repair consists of. If the leak is in a seam, send it in.