PDA

View Full Version : 8' Pram question

Rockman
07-21-2013, 05:18 PM
I have an 8' Valco pram that I would like to rig some removeable wheel dollies that will allow me to walk the pram to the water. I would like the dolly design to allow me to do this right side up, or upside down. It would be nice to be able to remove the wheels and turn them up side down while fishing. I saw one done like this, but did not ask if it was purchased or homemade. Any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated. The ones I googled up only transported the boat upside down.
One design had the wheels on the side which helped counterbalance the weight while transporting which is great when you have an electric motor & battery, plus fishing gear. One trip to the water is my objective.

Thanks
Will

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-21-2013, 06:21 PM
http://boatloader.com/wheels.html

Langenbeck
07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Here is what I used on my Valco. Works fine. Think I got from Cabelas some years ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/image_zps193d48eb.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gordonl/media/image_zps193d48eb.jpg.html)

Rockman
07-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks Bill & Gordon for the info & picture. I saw your style Gordon on several website, I do like the flip up wheels, but they also look like one more thing to catch flyline. On your boat Gordon, do you have any problems on uneven ground with the wheels close together?

Langenbeck
07-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Rockman: Typically no issues with the wheels close together unless the surface is very rocky. Since I stand most of the time the wheels are not a fly line trap. Actually use the wheel mechanism to pull on when I am starting to stand up.

Rockman
07-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks Gordon, Sounds like a bonus for me, do you only row your pram? or do you use an electric motor? I am trying to configure a good setup to haul the pram on the back of my pop up camper to get into some more remote lakes. My little outboard eats up to much space for the camper so I'm planning on electric to conserve space. Many thanks for your input.
I also enjoy your fishing reports up north, hopefully in four years I'll retire up to Mt. Shasta and get to fish some of those lakes in Oregon.
Tight Lines
Will

Langenbeck
07-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Rockman: I used to lug a battery and an electric motor around but too much hassle. If you are half way fit you can row a long way but rarely do I find that necessary. Have no regrets since I went to rowing only.

Rockman
07-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks Gordon, going to go eco/stealth and try that out. I hear about guys who get out to far and the wind picks up and they are miserable. The good of all this is that it will force me to exercise which is not a bad thing. Thanks again for your suggestions and awesome reports!

Will

Langenbeck
07-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Rockman: Many years ago the legendary Del Canty was in his float in Pyramid Lake and launched on the west shore late in the afternoon and the big winds came up and blew Del to the eastern shore where he spent the night sleeping under his float tube.

Dave Flood
07-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Will,

I used the boatloader.com wheel on an inflatable dive boat for years. They worked great. FYI, it takes about 30 seconds (just pull a pin out) to remove them from their aluminum channels. Then you can stow them out of the way in your pram.

Rockman
07-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks Dave,
Just ordered the Eide wheel set up. I hope to rig up a custom mount to my receiver to hual the pram behind my pop up camper with no trailer in a verticle position, then tilt it down w/ a rope right onto the wheels. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.