PDA

View Full Version : NF Stan Report and pics

Jeff F
07-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Haven't been on the NF Stan in a few years, but needed a Sierra fix. Plan was to hike down on the Ganns Mdw trail. Got to the trailhead and it was like I was Clark Griswold in "Vacation" as he got to the entrance of Wally World, as the sign basically read "Sorry folks, the trail is closed due to fire area, and anyone caught down here will be prosecuted."

So being the law abiding citizen I am....I had to go down to Boards Crossing. Thankfully there is an ATV trail that goes upstream for a long way. So, I hoofed it up about 3mi and started fishing in solitude. The river was surprisingly in perfect shape and cold for such a low water year. Fished stimmies all day long to very hungry rainbows. No browns hooked. Biggest fish were a couple 14"er's. Most fish were 8-10", but lots of 'em. Very fun 3wt fishing on a beautiful stretch of river. Only one small stretch where I needed to go around the cliffs. Pretty easy fishing/wading the rest of the time. Nymphing may produce bigger fish, but I was fine fishing dries all day long. Sorry about the blurryness of the pics. Camera is ready for the trash, but you get the idea of what the river looks like.

DLJeff
07-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Fishing a cold, small stream with dry flies in solitude ... doesn't get any better. Hope you had a cold beer waiting back at the truck while you took your boots off and stowed your gear. Nothing tops a day like that than a nice cold barley pop. Thanks for posting that.

Bob Loblaw
07-21-2013, 05:19 PM

I fished that section a few weeks ago. Called in sick and got a "Sierra fix" myself. I love sitting below some of the pools on that river and casting at eye level to rising fish! Caddis Stimulators kill them!

Philippe
07-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Great tip. Thanks. Went up to the same stretch of river (per your report) last weekend and had a great afternoon/evening with many fish caught. One in particular had the most intense orange fins with bright white tips. A guy in the parking lot sent me up the North bank which ended up being very rugged and sketchy when coming back to the parking lot after dark. I think the south bank has easier access. Thanks for sharing.

Philippe

Troutstalker55B
08-01-2013, 07:23 AM
What a sweet report, now that's my kind of fishing! Your images looked great to me. If they make me smile and put me in the mood than they did their job. Thanks for sharing.

Jon.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Beautiful water.......thanks.

Last night we were down at the river looking at new Redington products for 2014.

They have two new yellow fiberglass fly rods that come in #2 and #3 weight for $199.00

They would be fantastic on this kind of water.

RaffiB
08-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Heading up to NF Stani and Beaver Creek tommorrow for a couple of days. Excited to check out these streams for the first time this year

Rafdawg_34

k9mark
08-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Heading up to NF Stani and Beaver Creek tommorrow for a couple of days. Excited to check out these streams for the first time this year

Rafdawg_34

I bet the Beaver will be very low...

RaffiB
08-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Fished the Stani and Beav Sunday and Monday, both in Calaveras Park and up at Board's Crossing area. Beav was indeed low. Had decent action all day on dry/dropper, any combo. Best time for me was in the late morning, where there seemed to be alot of aggressive fish. Water was still surprisingly cool. Beautiful weather , great scenery and water.

Rafdawg_34