PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion Citing-S Fork Yuba

Barry Clark
07-15-2013, 08:32 AM
I was fishing above the Hi 20 Bridge in the upper section of the river on Sunday 7/14/13 in the late afternoon/early evening. On my way out, 6:30 pm, still in the upper section, I startled a mountain lion who was 30-50 yards away from me and it took off running up the side of the hill. I would estimate his size to be in the 75-100 lbs. range. it definitely wasn't a deer. This thing ran low to the ground and did not bound like a deer. Needless to say my head was on a swivel as I weaved my way through the tall bushes to get back on the trail and move on downstream.

As far as the fishing goes, it was slow for me both nymphing and fishing dries. It has been awhile since I fished the Yuba and certainly know that you pay your dues on this river. There wasn't much of a hatch late in the evening. My day ended at 9:15 pm.

Barry Clark
07-15-2013, 09:13 AM
That should be "Sighting" instead of "Citing"--oops

Terry Thomas
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
More and more of those cats being seen all the time. Sam D. had one run in front of his truck last Monday on the grade heading west just out of Burney @ 9 in the morning.

Mark Kranhold
07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
It's time to bring back hunting for Mt. Lions. California is overpopulated with them, many more human attacks as well!

TyV
07-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Sure we should let dogs chase mountain lions up a tree so we can stand underneath them as they are completely defenseless and shoot them...yep, we will call that "hunting" too! If you can stalk them and take them...and eat them, good on ya! Otherwise, I call that pathetic and about as unsporting as you can get. The ignorance and arrogance is offensive. Off my soapbox for now just really tired of reading the same garbage.

Charlie S
07-15-2013, 04:24 PM
There have been 14 verified mountain lion attacks in California since 1986. There have been five since 2004. I've been around mountain lions up here in Mendocino County since 1986 and have been privileged to see a couple of them in the wild, as should anyone who gets this opportunity. I have found lion sign a LOT in areas where I hunt and fish. With that said, I feel far more threatened by illegal dope growers and manufacturers and hunters who take "sound" shots than I do by the many lions in the woods.

Mark Kranhold
07-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Didn't say anything about hunting with dogs, I agree. No sport in that!

jbird
07-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Didn't say anything about hunting with dogs, I agree. No sport in that!

I actually prefer RPGs for cougar. You just need a hit in the general vicinity and all life is vaporized. ;)

Mark Kranhold
07-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Jay, if you have some I will take em! Top $$$

SHigSpeed
07-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I actually prefer RPGs for cougar. You just need a hit in the general vicinity and all life is vaporized. ;)
Hey,

Where can I find me a nice cougar? Anyone? :)

_SHig

Morgan
07-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Sure we should let dogs chase mountain lions up a tree so we can stand underneath them as they are completely defenseless and shoot them...yep, we will call that "hunting" too! If you can stalk them and take them...and eat them, good on ya! Otherwise, I call that pathetic and about as unsporting as you can get. The ignorance and arrogance is offensive. Off my soapbox for now just really tired of reading the same garbage.

COuldnt agree more. IMO that type of hunting or "treeing up", is pathetic and shows no sportsmanship at all. The cats have always been there. I grew up in sonoma county closer towards mendocino county. My folks own property a good 20 minutes outta town on 40 acres w/ plenty of land surrounding. IN the 14 years I lived out there I saw 3 cats. 2 of the 3 were on very late night drives home.....2-4am. Once at dusk. My parents still live out there...going on 25 years now and my mom has only seen one cat. They are there but in no shape or form should we consider ourselves "at risk". YOur more likely to win the lotto than get attacked by a mountain lion. Enjoy your time on the water and just keep your eye out for those beautiful sights at mother nature.

Randy Lee
07-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Sounds like an interesting activity for the spear fishermen. Chasing your dog thats chasing a cougar all the while dressed in a wet suit and flippers trying to aim your spear gun for a shot. Paints an interesting picture. Now thats sporting!

BobVP
07-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Glad you corrected that...at first I thought the CHP (Cougar Hazard Police) were giving out tickets to the poor creatures!

JasonB
07-16-2013, 09:34 AM
I'd say you were very fortunate to get to see a mountain lion; while they are most certainly around, it's a rare treat to actually see one up close. Gangster is right that you're probably more likely to win the lottery than be attacked by a lion. The fear of these cats has been so overblown. Yes they are elusive and talented predators, yes there are some attacks here and there, but there is no need to be overly paranoid about them. For the most part they really want nothing to do with humans, which is why it is fairly rare to see one despite the fact that they most certainly DO exist in many of the places we go to fish, hike, camp, etc.

Again, I'd count that experience as a rare opportunity and be glad you were there to see it. By the way, the South fork of the Yuba is further east up in the mountains; that stretch of water is actually the main stem of the Yuba. Just an fyi, not to nitpick :)
JB

JasonB
07-16-2013, 09:38 AM
It's time to bring back hunting for Mt. Lions. California is overpopulated, many more humans!

Apologies for mangling your words, but I think it reads more accurately that way lol. Perhaps the Mt. Lions are thinking the same thing no?
(sorry Mark, couldn't resist :D )
JB

jbird
07-16-2013, 10:08 AM
I'd say you were very fortunate to get to see a mountain lion; while they are most certainly around, it's a rare treat to actually see one up close. Gangster is right that you're probably more likely to win the lottery than be attacked by a lion. The fear of these cats has been so overblown. Yes they are elusive and talented predators, yes there are some attacks here and there, but there is no need to be overly paranoid about them. For the most part they really want nothing to do with humans, which is why it is fairly rare to see one despite the fact that they most certainly DO exist in many of the places we go to fish, hike, camp, etc.

Again, I'd count that experience as a rare opportunity and be glad you were there to see it. By the way, the South fork of the Yuba is further east up in the mountains; that stretch of water is actually the main stem of the Yuba. Just an fyi, not to nitpick :)
JB

I think the other thing people forget to consider is they are the kings of stealth. I would bet dollars to donuts that every single one of us that has spent any time in lion country has been watched by one. I always say, for every lion you see out in the wild, 25 have seen you. I'm way more concerned about the "2 legged predators" out there.

JasonB
07-16-2013, 10:17 AM
I think the other thing people forget to consider is they are the kings of stealth. I would bet dollars to donuts that every single one of us that has spent any time in lion country has been watched by one. I always say, for every lion you see out in the wild, 25 have seen you. I'm way more concerned about the "2 legged predators" out there.

I'm pretty sure you are roughly correct about those numbers. I've only seen a few in my lifetime, most of which has been in the woods and mountains. I can't even imagine how many Mt. Lions have seen me... and I am still FAR, FAR more concerned about the 2 legged wild ones too.

bigfly
07-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Years ago, I hiked solo into a stream canyon south of Lassen.
This place was as off the track as you can get.
Sitting on a log on a sand bar having a snack.
Casually glanced at the ground....there were very large, fresh, kitty tracks at my feet.
SUDDENLY....nothing happened.
But the flavor of that hike stays with me.
Adventure means not knowing what will happen.
Kinda wish they would re-introduce our state mammal, the GRIZZLY, shall we take a vote on that?

As an after-thought....since the Grizzly's are spreading to their natural range, maybe someday........

Jim

JasonB
07-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Adventure means not knowing what will happen.

Jim

Here, here!
JB

bigfly
07-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I don't mean to sound anti-hunting either.
I think it's natural to hunt. (And to be hunted.)
Those wishing to take cougars should....
During spear season only....
You could, of course, buy a two-spear addition to your hunting license.
Put on your track'en shoes and go for it!

Jim

the_gnarwhale
07-17-2013, 10:11 AM
CA is overpopulated, I'm all for bringing back wolves, grizzly bears, jaguars, wolverines, and having robust lion populations. Might help traffic a bit ;)

Mark Kranhold
07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Bigfly, love to see the Grizz back in California! I was talking to a lady at my grocery store and she said her husband knows some high up FWL employee and said that they had released a couple grizzly in the high mountain range of the Trinity Alps and the White mountains. I really couldn't see this happening without it going public. That would sure turn some heads!

Jake O
07-17-2013, 11:23 AM
As a hunter (not a Mt. Lion hunter though), I'm going to go against the grain here. When Mountain Lions are made legal to hunt, its much like wolves--tags are issued based upon how many the state wants to get rid of in order to have a healthy and balanced population. If people didnt use dogs, no one would ever fill any of the tags. Moreover, any suggestion that hunting lions with dogs is some easy feet is misconcieved...most of the "hunting" involves years of effort training the dogs to learn how to track, and then it always takes efforts to locate mountain lion sign before the dogs ever start tracking. You could search for days, or even weeks, before finding a set of "fresh" tracks that are fresh enough for dogs to follow. There is a lot more effort that goes into treeing a lion that meets the eyes. Again, im not a lion hunter, but have seen them hunt them on TV and explain the craft--also had a friend who used to traing and run his dogs to tree lions solely for the purpose of the dogs (he was into the training, not shooting).

Just as easily as anyone can say treeing lions is not sporting, you could say that duck hunting where you trick ducks to come into your set up with fake duck decoys and fake duck calls is not sporting. As a duck hunter, i know better, it is sporting, and not any joe on the street can be effective. It takes years to master the craft.

Ultimately, those who lash out probably dont know any better, because they have never actually looked into it; just like those who complain about trevon martin probably didnt watch a lick of the actual trial but instead want to make a decisision on what they feel is right based upon what is "popular" and "seems" to make sense based upon a gut reaction. (sorry, had to make my one political comment per post :).

Go ahead, flame on. Democracy demands different perspectives.

JasonB
07-17-2013, 12:01 PM
As a hunter (not a Mt. Lion hunter though), I'm going to go against the grain here. When Mountain Lions are made legal to hunt, its much like wolves--tags are issued based upon how many the state wants to get rid of in order to have a healthy and balanced population. If people didnt use dogs, no one would ever fill any of the tags. Moreover, any suggestion that hunting lions with dogs is some easy feet is misconcieved...most of the "hunting" involves years of effort training the dogs to learn how to track, and then it always takes efforts to locate mountain lion sign before the dogs ever start tracking. You could search for days, or even weeks, before finding a set of "fresh" tracks that are fresh enough for dogs to follow. There is a lot more effort that goes into treeing a lion that meets the eyes. Again, im not a lion hunter, but have seen them hunt them on TV and explain the craft--also had a friend who used to traing and run his dogs to tree lions solely for the purpose of the dogs (he was into the training, not shooting).

Just as easily as anyone can say treeing lions is not sporting, you could say that duck hunting where you trick ducks to come into your set up with fake duck decoys and fake duck calls is not sporting. As a duck hunter, i know better, it is sporting, and not any joe on the street can be effective. It takes years to master the craft.

Ultimately, those who lash out probably dont know any better, because they have never actually looked into it; just like those who complain about trevon martin probably didnt watch a lick of the actual trial but instead want to make a decisision on what they feel is right based upon what is "popular" and "seems" to make sense based upon a gut reaction. (sorry, had to make my one political comment per post :).

Jake,
No flames from me, I'm all for perspectives and opinions; particularly those given with the intent to further a respectful debate wherein all parties learn a bit more. The only thing I take issue with is the concept that those who have different opinions have formulated them due to lack of knowledge and were only going along with the "popular" trend. I share the thoughts that shooting at a treed animal is far outside of what I consider "sport", nothing about whether or not it's "easy" or not. I suppose it's all what one defines as sporting or not. I think most folks who are opposed to hunting Lions, or Bears with dogs are probably more aware of the process than you allude to... just a guess. Just a different set of values, or standards about what they consider sport.

I'm also perhaps a bit more cynical about the state managing a "healthy and balanced population", as I think that there are likely economic and political influences that may well skew this process (that is admittedly pure "gut instinct" based on my overall perception of what makes the world go round). Not saying the state isn't capable of managing such things, but I still think it's healthy to retain some skepticism of the process. And that's about as close to politics as I'm interested in going :)
JB

Rockman
07-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I have nothing against hunting, I'm just against taking life for the "sport". I like to hunt, but I shoot with a big lense. Photography is proof of the shot and I may work just as hard at tracking/hiking as any hunter. Not bashing anyone, just a different perspective. Hope someday to shoot a mountain lion, and hopefully, someone else will get their shot also cause I did not have to kill it.
Some take joy in killing, I take joy in releasing ( most of them).

Charlie S
07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
It's nice to see some balanced and respectful posts. Thank you guys. I hunt but I eat what I hunt. I would love to get a lion if legal as I have read numerous accounts from the "old" days that mountain men considered lion to be top fare. Always willing to try something once. The only thing I shoot consistently but don't eat is coyotes.

bigfly
07-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Charlie, Jake, I've never hunted cats, but used to kill almost anything that moved......and some that didn't.
Edible or not. (Ate most of them, but not coyotes, guess there's still time....)
Ran a trapline for money.....etc.
(Last year I did have Squirrel stew....little bugger thought my bird feeder was a government-style food incentive program.)
(I can get political too.)
I fish well, because I hunted well.
Many of the same skills........
Now I just frighten and release fish. Actually, I mostly teach others to frighten them...(they still have to land them though..)
Haven't eaten a fish in decades.
Some would see me as a cretin for this.
I understand both sides of this thing.
But to me, shooting a critter out of a tree, is like shooting ducks on water, or pheasant on the ground, or catching fish in a barrel.
( Or the LT at 40cfs........)
Not much to shout about.
Now......if you used a spear......I mean......go up the tree if you want to impress me, that.... would be sporty.
Each to his own.
No problem with other opinions though.
I run into that a lot.
Especially with other fishermen.........
I think, my point is...without critters that can threaten us, we have lost the wild, and are now domesticated.
As a diver, I'd say the ocean is a pale representation, without Great Whites in it........
Lets let a few cats roam, bears too, and be heads-up when we are out.
And if you get eaten once you leave the trail head, that is the price of wild. ( But, I don't want to see them downtown.)
Although, every-time I walk back to the truck in the twilight, I hope it's not me........

Lets not forget, along with sexual selection (which we do OK with), predation is a strong evolutionary force, and we humans defiantly need to evolve a bit more........or at very least, be a little more humble.

Jim

Randy Lee
07-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Bigfly, Hit the nail on the head. Hallelujah! I like the spear idea.
Randy

NCL
07-18-2013, 04:45 AM
I have a little different point of view to present, that of a deer. A mature Mountain Lion will kill a deer a week and only eat on it for a couple of days. When Lion hunting was stopped in 1990 it was estimated there were 5000 lions in California which would translate into 5000 deer per week. Now with no hunting or other predators to keep the population in control how many lions are there? Also with hunting will come management of the resource which I suspect to totally absent now. Additionally about 15 years ago there was a big horn sheep population that was totally destroyed by lions so the lions are having an impact on other wildlife population.

Pedator populations are also controled by the amount of food/prey available. The larger the prey base the larger the carrying capacity.
With the larger human population moving further into lion habitat there is an additional food source to assist in there early life, the food source is dogs, cats, or any other domestic animal.

Lastly, lion are now being killed through depredation permits, which is a cost to California. If hunting of lions was reintroduced then California would derive money from tag sales along with a reduction of costs.

esummers
07-18-2013, 08:09 AM
I have a little different point of view to present, that of a deer. A mature Mountain Lion will kill a deer a week and only eat on it for a couple of days. When Lion hunting was stopped in 1990 it was estimated there were 5000 lions in California which would translate into 5000 deer per week. Now with no hunting or other predators to keep the population in control how many lions are there? Also with hunting will come management of the resource which I suspect to totally absent now. Additionally about 15 years ago there was a big horn sheep population that was totally destroyed by lions so the lions are having an impact on other wildlife population.

Pedator populations are also controled by the amount of food/prey available. The larger the prey base the larger the carrying capacity.
With the larger human population moving further into lion habitat there is an additional food source to assist in there early life, the food source is dogs, cats, or any other domestic animal.

Lastly, lion are now being killed through depredation permits, which is a cost to California. If hunting of lions was reintroduced then California would derive money from tag sales along with a reduction of costs.

Couldn't agree more.

As a sidenote, I work at Aerojet and we had a person running on site a few weeks ago who spotted a Lion. It was staring her down. Got a company wide email to be on the lookout for them and we're not allowed to run alone anymore (I run out there all the time). Of course, I run along the American river too and I'm sure they're out there as well. I hope to see one.

Frank Alessio
07-18-2013, 08:39 AM
This is what happens when you manage Fish and Game at the ballot box....I have a Friend that Hunts Lions quite often somtimes two or three time a month, mostly with hounds....He even gets paid to do it by the Goverment... My tax dollars...I would buy a Lion tag but that will never be possible ever again in California....I would like to know where the money goes that was supposed to be going into Habitat Restoration and it is a good chunk of money....Now I go out of state to hunt my Deer...

Dustin Rhodes
07-18-2013, 02:25 PM
So after reading some of the comments on here I have come to the conculsion that some idiot liberals or conservitives have to kill themselves to let some of the used to be here aminals come back :D you know the brown bears, wolfs,wolverines and hell maybe even import some exotic creatures :)

Larry S
07-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Dustin,
What's your point? You might want to invest in a spell checker and a class in on-line manners. From an old retired
school teacher; conclusion; conservatives; wolves; animals. Lighten up, boy!

Dustin Rhodes
07-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Dustin,
What's your point? You might want to invest in a spell checker and a class in on-line manners. From an old retired
school teacher; conclusion; conservatives; wolves; animals. Lighten up, boy!

Larry,

Point is simple....
Let the nature take care of itself! Seems like there are quite a few people that say they have seen and know but they don't! How many people on here can say they have hunted these precious animals and really have experience with them? Not many I take it because just by what Jay posted shows that many others don't know crap.

So I'm simply saying lets kill people off to be able to bring back grizzly bears. Another words the population of people in this state can't maintain animal of these sorts. What's even funnier its like Frank A said our tax dollars pay to have the state trappers do it because its CA the kommie state of the nation ran by crooks! Oh and it's a few million a year to take care of this!

And Larry I see you were able to read just fine what I previously wrote. I guess I'm uneducated and that makes everyone else educated.

Frank Alessio
07-18-2013, 05:28 PM
OK I looked it up it is 30 Million Dollars a year for 30 years for habitat restoration...Give me a break...What is being done for the guy that buys a Hunting and Fishing license in the state of Californicate????

winxp_man
07-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Good thread popcorn time :D

jbird
07-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Hey Dusty Rhodes. ease up. Youre wrestling career ended decades ago. dont come here to start a fight.

Hey Aron. Talk about stirring the pot! Do you know the pressure and stress a kernel of corn has to endure to be popped?! ;) That kind of behavior is just unacceptable! you really openned a can of worms man! ;) poor little corns

Dustin Rhodes
07-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Hey Dusty Rhodes. ease up. Youre wrestling career ended decades ago. dont come here to start a fight.

Hey Aron. Talk about stirring the pot! Do you know the pressure and stress a kernel of corn has to endure to be popped?! ;) That kind of behavior is just unacceptable! you really openned a can of worms man! ;) poor little corns

Wanna wrestle? :D I'm not that famous though hehe..... My pops was a fan so it was not hard to name your kid Dustin hahaha

On a serious note I don't want to open the can of worms and even if I did it was opened with the first page of this thread. I'm just adding to it with my opinion and what facts I know. I do hunt for mountain lion in the state of Washington. Lots of fun and I actually call them in with mouth calls. And NO they are not the nice little house kittens that everyone makes them out to be. They are killing machines when hungry and when they want to play cat and mouse with anything that is moving in the forest.

I guess many have watched to much Walt Disney with bambi and every other animal they dont want killed. Nothing wrong with hunting by regulations. Now poaching is poaching and as we all know law does not matter to poachers. They do illegal things regardless. I don't see black bears disapearing from CA or Deer. Why? Because there are regulations.

Charlie S
07-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Dustin...do they eat as good as claimed...Charlie moving to Oregon where I can hunt them like you do. As a side note, I have called in two lions when trying for coyotes. They are magnificent animals but nothing I want to hug.

TyV
07-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Fish... I was fooled by that Walt Disney add too and I even voted for prop 117 but since then I have grown a brain and see the errors of voting with a Liberal mentality... Maybe when you grow up you too will see the light...Cheers

This quote was actually from Frank A in a Private Message to me...what a coward with a brain the size of a pea. I will say this...when I do "grow up" it would be cool to watch you get treed by dogs OR better yet by a cougar...would love to see you soiling your pants. Whatever you do...Wear Condoms...

fishnbeatsworkin
07-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Wow, 4 pages because the original poster saw a mt lion on the South Fork of the Yuba. I can only imagine how many pages we'd have if he'd have seen a chupacabra.

Mike O
07-19-2013, 01:51 AM
Don't get me started on the Chupacabra...or the Cantil Monster.

Why talk about eating what you hunt, and then in the next bit talk about killing, but not eating coyotes? Do you run sheep? Have free roming poultry? Whys it OK to kill 'yotes for sport?

Also, for those talking about hunting for sport, then talking about catch and release trout...i have seen studies showing C.&R mortality can be upwards of 25%...let's be conservative and say 10%...that's still 10%. Please don't talk about hunting and it's killing, and talk about fishing like it doesn't. If killing stuff for sport bothers you, eat what you fish for, otherwise you are being hypocritical. Or you could just cut your flies off at the bend, and fish for the tug.

Scott V
07-19-2013, 07:37 AM
You have to love humanity. First we come here and take the land away from the Indians and put them on reservations. Then we want to kill all the animals that we don't agree with because we decided to either build where they live or venture into their space.

the_gnarwhale
07-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Manifest destiny!!!!

Jake O
07-19-2013, 08:09 AM
You have to love humanity. First we come here and take the land away from the Indians and put them on reservations. Then we want to kill all the animals that we don't agree with because we decided to either build where they live or venture into their space.

I'd suggest you start then by donating your house to the local indian tribe.

RenoLipRipper
07-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Hunting no sport at all. Shooting at animals with high powered rifles with sights from long distance equals puss. Get a bow & arrow and see what you can do. No catch and release either. You have taken a life for your own ego.

Seen tracks of a mt. lion last 07/9 while hiking into a secluded lake. Wife said one was released in area (Carson-Iceberg wilderness) a week before that had made a home under someones porch in Reno. Makes you a bit more alert.

I hike, fish and mountain bike all over the Tahoe area. I know they are there, as one post said they see use more then we see them. You just hope they are not sick and want you for dinner.

The attacks are very, very rare.

Seen tracks by Hangmans/East Carson River in the snow many times. And tracks where I live in V.C. Highlands of south east Reno. They are there. Hope I don't have any face to face encounters. Did once in So. California, Chino Hills State Park while mountain biking at 6:30 a.m.. Turned that bike around quick, met the park ranger comming in for the day told him and he said look big, and that there is lots of food for them. Reassuring.

Not a good idea to be out in some areas at dawn and dusk. When they are most active.

Had a beautiful buck last night no more than 30 feet from our house, eating and drinking water that I have put out for the simi wild horses. Beautiful sight. Could never shot/kill such a awesome animal just doing what it does.

I to don't mind shooting anything with a camera.

As far as catch and release of fish. Learn to catch and release properly, while using barbless hooks, and catch and release nets, not handling fish any more than you have to with wet hands and the kill rate goes way down.

jbird
07-19-2013, 09:29 AM
The first night I spent in my new house here, my dogs were going insane about 9pm. Shined a light on the back yard and saw what I thought were 2 deer. They werent moving like deer thru the deep snow. I yelled HEY! They both stopped and looked right at me, thats when I definitly saw they were two MASSIVE wolves. They trotted off into the woods. After a few minutes I wandered out to see the tracks. No doubt. A low pitched howl in the distance further confirmed. Now that was un-nerving!

Rockman
07-19-2013, 09:43 AM
I agree w/ RenoLipRipper, catch & release is not as simple as letting the fish go. It takes a conscious effort to ensure that fish will live on to bring enjoyment to some future angler. This is especially true now with warmer water temps for trout fisherman, I recommend fishing with a heavier rod to get your fish in quicker to reduce the stress on the fish. Don't know the validity of the 25% mortality for catch & release fisherman unless they are not abiding by the guidelines stated above or they are banking their fish onto land. Still confused about hunting as a sport vs. photography as a hobby. You still get to shoot the animal, and it gets to live to bring enjoyment for others to see.
When I was younger, I hunted. Never felt good after the kill even when my friends told me that we could eat what we kill. I still find more enjoyment in seeing a live animal in there natural environment then a dead one on my plate. Just saying, not bashing.

Dustin Rhodes
07-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Seems to me like there are lots of opinions here and lots of vegetarians. How many of you can say you are 100% vegetarian? If not please for the love of what ever your belief is stop posting about hunting because you are a hypocrite. Now if your a vegetarian then go on ahead and post.

Lots of cow dying and lots of chickens and not many feel sad or complain about it. Again people hunters don't go on killing all of nature so please stop the idea the hunters are killers of everything. And to compare it to catch and release is like comparing apples to peaches. Two different sports if you will call it that. Nothing wrong with killing a coyote if you will take that fur and make use of it. And same way I see it with Mountain Lions. If the state of Washington gives me a tag they are telling me there are enough cats to be hunted it regulated so people with "Oh your killing off the Mountain Lions" please stop you don't know crap obviously.

Oh and a few fun facts. The California grizzly bear was last roaming California in 1922 before it was shot. The last known wolf that roamed California was 1924 During which time most of the wolfs in the US were to be eradicated. This was sponsored by yours truly the US gubermint....... Feel free to do some research and see the same info I posted being fact. So this will tell you that it was not hunters doing this but the higher ups. If we go back a few more years remember the Buffalo of the Great Plains? Remember how they were being killed so the Natives would die off to? Was it everyday hunters that needed the same animals to live back in the day? I think not.

Oh and anyone like sushi here? I do :) maybe next time I go to a restaurant that has fish I will tell them to please practice catch and release.

And Jake O +1 :D

Frank Alessio
07-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Wow ...Every once in a while a touch of sanity...Maybe there is still hope....

Seems to me like there are lots of opinions here and lots of vegetarians. How many of you can say you are 100% vegetarian? If not please for the love of what ever your belief is stop posting about hunting because you are a hypocrite. Now if your a vegetarian then go on ahead and post.

Lots of cow dying and lots of chickens and not many feel sad or complain about it. Again people hunters don't go on killing all of nature so please stop the idea the hunters are killers of everything. And to compare it to catch and release is like comparing apples to peaches. Two different sports if you will call it that.

jbird
07-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Lots of cow dying and lots of chickens and not many feel sad or complain about it. Again people hunters don't go on killing all of nature so please stop the idea the hunters are killers of everything. And to compare it to catch and release is like comparing apples to peaches. Two different sports if you will call it that.

Oh and a few fun facts. The California grizzly bear was last roaming California in 1922 before it was shot. The last known wolf that roamed California was 1924 During which time most of the wolfs in the US were to be eradicated. This was sponsored by yours truly the US gubermint....... Feel free to do some research and see the same info I posted being fact.

Oh and anyone like sushi here? I do :) maybe next time I go to a restaurant that has fish I will tell them to please practice catch and release.

Im sorry, but comparing hunting wild animals to killing farmed raised animals that are bred for meat is like comparing apples to pumpkins.

Dustin Rhodes
07-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Im sorry, but comparing hunting wild animals to killing farmed raised animals that are bred for meat is like comparing apples to pumpkins.

Point is people feel all mushy because its Bambi and when it comes to farm animals its ok. If anyone has slaughtered and cow and looked in its eyes before doing so can comment. Every living thing wants to live its how nature is. Some just don't make it and its all part of our nature. So I can not fight that and say its wrong. There are plenty of deer and plenty of fish so if one choses to eat a little what's wrong with that??? It seems like there is hunter bashing doing on here plain and simple. And the kicker is most seem to not be hunters at all, and would not kill an animal themselves because they would not have the guts to.

Frank Alessio
07-19-2013, 11:45 AM
I am with you Dustin... I believe it is covered in the Bible under Beasts of Burden....

JohnD
07-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Last wolf to roam in CA was actually last year.

If you're gonna shoot something you should eat it, otherwise you're just killing stuff for fun.

TyV
07-19-2013, 01:13 PM
I am sitting laughing my ass off! 6 pages of posts and not 1 single post opposes hunting. Apparently some folks can't read, lack comprehension and/or are simply not too bright! I'm out as trying to debate or have discourse with such simpletons is a waste of time.

Dustin Rhodes
07-19-2013, 01:31 PM

Fish_On here is your answer to your comment on the first page of this thread. Your comment holds not weight and its just an opinion based on your belief and that's ok. If that were the case in this world we would maybe all be Muslims or Christians. But to your comment on page one please research a little more.

winxp_man
07-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Don't get me started on the Chupacabra...or the Cantil Monster.

Why talk about eating what you hunt, and then in the next bit talk about killing, but not eating coyotes? Do you run sheep? Have free roming poultry? Whys it OK to kill 'yotes for sport?

Also, for those talking about hunting for sport, then talking about catch and release trout...i have seen studies showing C.&R mortality can be upwards of 25%...let's be conservative and say 10%...that's still 10%. Please don't talk about hunting and it's killing, and talk about fishing like it doesn't. If killing stuff for sport bothers you, eat what you fish for, otherwise you are being hypocritical. Or you could just cut your flies off at the bend, and fish for the tug.

I would have to disagree with this. I would say that if someone (like some posted about sport killing) hunts coyotes or mountain lions its for the trophy not just to kill something. Now on the mountain lion subject I don't know any hunters at all that would kill one for the hell of it and leave it in the woods or give it away to someone because they just want to kill. And like Jake posted in a nice way its hard to understand it if you do not do it.

I dont see nothing wrong with keeping some form of balance on predators.......

Charlie S
07-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Mike O...I kill coyotes not for fun but because I have numerous ranch friends here in Mendocino County who have asked me to help them out. They are especially bad during calving and lambing season (and I buy two lambs and one calf a year, so, yes, it could be one of mine i'm saving). They are also very susceptible to rabies. And don't criticize something of which you have absolutely no understanding.

Scott V
07-19-2013, 01:45 PM
I don't know any hunters at all that would kill one for the hell of it and leave it in the woods or give it away to someone because they just want to kill.

You may not know any, but there are tons of them. They call themselves hunters, but that is not what they truly are. Just like I know very few fly fishing snobs, but I ran into a whole shop of them in Idaho Falls. Biggest jerks in the book, I let them know exactly how I felt as I left. They tried to apologize for their incredibly stupid and amazingly rude attitude, but I told them to stuff it. Even my wife was amazed at how rude and ignorant they were.

winxp_man
07-19-2013, 01:48 PM
You may not know any, but there are tons of them. They call themselves hunters, but that is not what they truly are. Just like I know very few fly fishing snobs, but I ran into a whole shop of them in Idaho Falls. Biggest jerks in the book, I let them know exactly how I felt as I left. They tried to apologize for their incredibly stupid and amazingly rude attitude, but I told them to stuff it. Even my wife was amazed at how rude and ignorant they were.

And to me these people are neither fishermen or hunters. Its like saying poachers are hunters or fishermen. They are in a league of their own in my books.

Randy Lee
07-19-2013, 04:51 PM
How about those A's.

Charlie S
07-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Go Green Bay.....a little early but I'm old and have to start early.

the_gnarwhale
07-26-2013, 02:32 PM
http://youtu.be/xFXWQfEx-Jw

Mark Kranhold
07-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Classic :cool:

Frank Alessio
07-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Good Bait.... Nice try....