California Department of Fish and Wildlife
Bay Delta Region
2109 Arch-Airport Road, Suite 100
Stockton, California 95206

Phone (209) 234-3486
email marty.gingras@wildlife.ca.gov

Darian
07-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Marty,.... Good to see that you continue to follow us on this BB and provide info to help in understanding. Now I've gotta take some time to digest what's in those newsletters.... :cool:

James
07-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Thank you for the great info and chart.

After looking at the chart, it gives me a better understanding.

Thanks again.
James

Marty Gingras
07-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Thank you for the great info and chart.

My pleasure for sure.

After looking at the chart, it gives me a better understanding.

Here is another figure about the partyboat fishery:

ftp://ftp.delta.dfg.ca.gov/Adult_Sturgeon_and_Striped_Bass/2012%20Striped%20Bass%20CPFV%20Effort.pdf

CPUE is one measure of the quality of a fishery and it's often an index of fish abundance. In conjunction with the figure about CPUE in the first post of this thread, we see that fishing effort dropped off much more than you might expect from the relatively minor decline in CPUE. It could be that CPUE is a biased-high index of abundance (meaning there are fewer fish than the data suggests), striped bass abundance was what we figure from CPUE but some other fishery was more attactive, etc.

STEELIES/26c3
07-14-2013, 07:01 PM
A likely bias variable that plays into the data is the fact that much of the CPUE which would have been directed towards stripers (during the moratorium on kings) has once again been directed towards salmon/rockfish fishing these last few years. This would seem to skew the data... and even more so this year with the greater return of larger kings, and most recently, easy limits of salmon, lings and rockfish which has and will continue to draw a lot more anglers away from fishing for striped bass in the bay and delta...

I am in no way an expert here... but in reviewing the documents presented, that one potential area for error did occur to me when interpreting the recent data.