PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry advice needed

hwchubb
07-07-2013, 10:00 AM
We've got a scout trip coming up early next month that will be a 7 day, 60 miler in the Marble Mountains (lower Klamath drainage). We'll be on lakes every night, several of which are rumored to fish very well. I've done shorter trips before, but on this one weight and space are going to be a real premium. Anyone out there have suggestions on getting both to a minimum, especially reducing rod case weight and fly / gear selection? I can probably get down to 1-2 small fly boxes, but was thinking taking an extra spool with shooting heads. Any experience would be appreciated.

wineslob
07-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Recently (Father's Day) I did a trip (3.5 mi/Grouse Ridge area) and brought my Sevier 4 piece pack rod (8' 3/4 wt made with the "Tiger Eye" blank) and Redington "Drift" reel lined with a WF4F to save weight. Great little rod and reel setup and weighs next to nothing. Flies were AP Black/Golden stones so I only had to bring 1 box. The fish were MORE than happy to take the flies.

Bitter Dave
07-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Not that I have any hands on experience with it, but have you considered a Tenkara outfit?

Dan LeCount
07-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I usually bring some small mayfly stuff (parachute adams, pheasant tails), some midges(griffiths gnats, zebra midges and WD -40s) a few terrestrials like ants and hoppers, some sparse olive wooly buggers, some scuds and maybe round it out with a few attractor dries like some small elk hairs and humpys. Should be able to get most of that into a small fly box. I usually dont bring a second fly line, but sometimes I'll bring an attachable length of sink tip or sinking leader I can just attach to the end of my fly line.

amoeba
07-08-2013, 04:46 PM
yeah, I have suggestions on what NOT to bring from lots of experience of seeing extra unnecessary crap brought:

1. individual tents for any member, at least 2man tents, and 2 people per 2-man tent. Anyone having issues with this brings earplugs or stays home.

2. xtra pairs of shoes. leave the flipflops, tennis shoes, high heels, or whatever else, at home. If you are packing extra shoes, go to an Imelda Marcos website and find her servants to carry them up there for you. The possible exception MIGHT be the lightest possible weight wading shoes and THIN neoprene socks; think about whether you really need wading shoes, or waders, at all.

3. books, magazines, radios, musical instruments, cellphones, satellite phones, or any other mental recreational distractions of any kind that weights anything. If you are in need of this, ask for a bedtime story from your camp leader.

4. quit thinking about extra spools and shooting heads; use dries.

BobVP
07-08-2013, 06:41 PM
I've hiked the Marbles quite a bit over the years and love the fishing in those lakes. Every now and then there will be a big fish surprise!

My back-country gear is as simple as can be..First, I agree with amoeba: Pack dries! No dredging those lakes with nymphs.
My rod is an older 4 piece 4 weight with a WF line on a SA reel; Extra leader; Tippet material; Nippers and (where I don't agree with amoeba) I carry a pair of sandals (Tevas) for fishing. (Glad I had them last time as I got a very bad blister and wore them hiking out)

The flies are simple: A few attractors (love using the old Royal Coachmen there...so satisfying), mosquitoes, ants and maybe a few others. You will not be skunked there!

Have a great time.