PDA

View Full Version : new used boat and registration

bassakwards
07-05-2013, 08:32 PM
got a great deal today on a boat I've been looking for for a long time but it's never been registered how hard is it going to be to get this done?

winxp_man
07-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Nice boat there!!! :)

I bet it sure will be fun!

Loomis 1
07-06-2013, 07:56 AM
The more paperwork you have from the seller the better. Hopefully your local DMV makes appointments and you have a couple of hours free. Should be a one stop adventure.

Chris Gearhart
07-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Contact the "Vessel Division" of the DMV. They will walk you right through. If you go to your local DMV you will get met with nothing but frustration. You should be able to do most if not all through the mail.

Chris

bassakwards
07-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I can now tell you to take the original signed bill of sale, acceptance of a printed copy an email proof looks to be subject to manager decision. Lucky for me the seller is a nice person that responds.

bassakwards
07-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Registration done, I feel lucky only took two trips. Sice I’m only 5 Min from an office I keep checking the wait time on the website when it got down to 20 min I ran down there, kind of became a game.

Now the next problem, the registration sticker would not stay on , tried gluing it no dice. West marine said make a plaque and hang it over the side but from reading here and looking at the regs it says that
“The vessel registration number (CF number) issued by the department must be displayed as follows:
Painted on or permanently attached to each side of the forward half of the vessel “
The reason gluing would not work is because the materials are different so being the cheap guy I am I figure if I use the patches that came with the boat I can make a pouch with a window that is just a bit smaller than the sticker, I’m not going to lose much of the patch because I get to recycle the window.

Next problem what do I do in 3 years when I get a new sticker , simple only glue the sides and the bottom so I can slip the new sticker in. now I just need to keep an eye on it for a while to make sure it keeps working as needed.