PDA

View Full Version : another muskie

jbird
07-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I havent fished much this year mainly do to extreme flooding conditions here. I went to a river on Wednesday that I fished alot last summer. The flows are about tripple of what I ever fished it. Had a tough time finding fish. I stripped a big streamer thru a boulder strewn run and a big bronze flash arced up and my fly was gone. retied and fished around in the area for a while catching 3 decent smallies. About 30 minutes later, I came back to the 'bronze flash'. This time I had a shock tied in. I waded just above the slot and paid out line and did the dangle twitch. Whamo! He was still hungry and ate! This thing jumped all over the place like a hot steelhead. It never settled down, even at hand. The thing was slimy as bacon grease and I just couldnt control it for a photo. It wasnt big but it certainly wasnt small. Pretty darnd cool!

DLJeff
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Next time stick your hand in its mouth and take a photo of the bite pattern and we'll be able to tell from that. Did you get your first fly back? Muskies are pretty cool predators.

jbird
07-05-2013, 01:50 PM
LOL. Bite pattern huh? No! ;) I have a landing glove that I pulled out and dropped the dang thing and watched it float away :(. The thing reminded me of a tarpon the way it jumped and shook and I could hear its gill plates rattle. My other fly was gone. It was barbless and I never did a hookset. When he bit, I never even felt him. It was just gone.

Mark Kranhold
07-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Jay, was it the sculpin pattern? Have you got any smallies on it yet?

jbird
07-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Mark. I havent tied on the sculpins yet, but i'm excited to. I have them hanging at my tying bench and I see them whenever i tie. I just need to get them in the water!! Soon my friend :) Ive been tying dragonflies and huge streamers. Streamers that would work for Mako's. 'cept I'll be casting them for a diferent kind of shark :O