PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake report and Hex?

dickwhite
06-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Fished last Wednesday starting around 4pm. Things started slow as the damsel hatch seemed to be tapering off with only a couple of small fry to hand. Some blood midges and other small midges starting coming off and got a few more fish. Then it went nuts with what I'm sure were hex. The gulls and pelicans were the 1st to notice than the fish keyed in. Large splashy rises and large hex adults buzzing around. Luckily I had some hex emergers from a trip to Almanor in my bag, so I paddled back to the truck and re-rigged. Fish were more likely to hit a moving target then chucking and leaving it. My biggest fish, 22", was on the way paddling back in the dark dragging the fly behind the canoe.

This was my 1st time seeing hex on Davis. How prolific and long lived is this hatch. The emergers seemed to have a much tougher time breaking the surface film, than I had seem at Almanor last week. I'd say close to half the flies ended up as cripples stuck in the film. I also heard rumors of some hex on the Truckee and Boca??

Tight lines everyone
Dick White
Tahoma Meadows B&B

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-29-2013, 03:44 PM
That is wild stuff......I guess the Hex will add to making Davis Lake one of best fly fishing destinations.

dickwhite
06-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Hey Bill,
How's things? You coming up this way for the 4th?

This is the 1st time I've seen hex at Davis. Being from Tahoe when I make it up that way I usually don't fish so late. I'm fishing to the bitter end from now on. It was after 10pm by the time I was loading the canoe. Had a great time. It also taught me to take every fly you own. You can always go back to the truck.

Stuck in Tahoe until after the 4th. Bummer. It's only 84F here today. Hope everyone isn't sweating to death.

Dick White
Tahoma Meadows

dickwhite
06-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Opps! I didn't know that this was supposed to be hush hush. Hope I didn't rain in anyone's parade. I don't think it will effect the bait and bucket crowds at all. We might see some more flyfishers, who will hopefully spend some money in Portola. God knows, Portola could sure use a boost.

I wonder if they'll eventually make it down to some of the lakes around Truckee? That would be welcome news for Boca, Prosser and Stampede, all of which don't FF that well. They'd probably never survive in Tahoe, too clean.

Dick
Tahoma

Bull_Dog
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Opps! I didn't know that this was supposed to be hush hush. Hope I didn't rain in anyone's parade. I don't think it will effect the bait and bucket crowds at all. We might see some more flyfishers, who will hopefully spend some money in Portola. God knows, Portola could sure use a boost.
I wonder if they'll eventually make it down to some of the lakes around Truckee? That would be welcome news for Boca, Prosser and Stampede, all of which don't FF that well. They'd probably never survive in Tahoe, too clean.

Dick
Tahoma

Hey Dick, This is a very cool, new and exciting situation for Davis Lake, the area businesses and fly fishermen. It is not supposed to be hush hush. A couple of people got butt hurt that they were not the ones who got to break the news that's all. It really does not matter. Thanks for sharing. I fished the hatch on Saturday night at Davis and the conditions were perfect and it did not happen. It might be too warm already. The fishing really slowed down in the last few days probably due to the water temps sky rocketing with the heat. Might be time to put Davis on the back burner until fall.

Rob Anderson
Reno Fly Fishing Outfitters
rob@bucketlistflyfishing.com

Terry Thomas
07-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Rob
Don't start this again. We just deleted a thread for unnecessary comments!

Bull_Dog
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Rob
Don't start this again. We just deleted a thread for unnecessary comments!

Sorry Terry, I did not mean any harm in my post. I will delete it if you think I should. I was commenting on Dick's concern about the hush hush stuff. We are all in this together. I am getting ready to post a fishing report from my area that is not smoke and mirrors. It is real conditions and not such good news in some places. The heat is catching up with us.

Was I responsible for the post getting deleted? I have been really careful to post positive reports and give honest feedback to our friends and clients. I have gotten a bunch of positive PM's on the post you are speaking of. I apologize to anyone who took offense to anything I have said.

As always I report on areas I do not guide and I am just trying to give out good advise so anglers can make a good decision on where to spend their free time fishing. I hope everyone has a great fishing season. If I can help in any way give me a call or send me an email.

Rob Anderson
Reno Fly Fsishing Outfitters

www.renoflyfishingoutfitters.com
rob@bucketlistflyfishing.com

koffler
07-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Terry, you work at kienes so your call but I frequent this board daily and thought robs post was good. Per your comment earlier in the week hes 1 of the few guides:or at leaast in the know who regularly posts. If you disagree I understand but think the post is fair and legit.

Jason