PDA

View Full Version : East Carson and Wolf Creek

k9mark
06-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Fished this past Thursday on the East Carson off of Wold Creek Rd. Saw several fish in nice holes but couldn't convince any takers. Probably wasn't getting deep enough. Anyway, I decided to head back Wolf Creek road to the campground and fish Wolf Creek itself upstream. I was successful there using a Red Headed Stepchild which the brookies loved. So the day was not lost, beautiful weather and fishing.

amoeba
06-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Fished this past Thursday on the East Carson off of Wold Creek Rd. Saw several fish in nice holes but couldn't convince any takers. Probably wasn't getting deep enough. Anyway, I decided to head back Wolf Creek road to the campground and fish Wolf Creek itself upstream. I was successful there using a Red Headed Stepchild which the brookies loved. So the day was not lost, beautiful weather and fishing.

Whatsa "brookie"?; do you mean a small rainbow or cutthroat?; I've never seen a brook trout in the EC. I was near there yesterday (friday) - I did better, then it hailed marbles, cooled from 90 to 56 in 20 minutes, and river turned to coffee. Dunno what it will be like this wknd.

Mike O
06-29-2013, 02:43 PM
I have caught brook trout in WOLF creek as stated, as well.

k9mark
06-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Whatsa "brookie"?; do you mean a small rainbow or cutthroat?; I've never seen a brook trout in the EC. I was near there yesterday (friday) - I did better, then it hailed marbles, cooled from 90 to 56 in 20 minutes, and river turned to coffee. Dunno what it will be like this wknd.

I caught brook trout in wolf creek. Weather was just great Thursday. I saw those clouds on Friday from the valley and figured it was raining like crazy up there so I hit it right.

dickwhite
06-29-2013, 06:30 PM
http://www.tahomameadows.com/IMGP0633.JPG

Ralph
06-30-2013, 08:08 AM

Look again. You can usually catch a brooky or two in the EC below the WC meadows right after run off. And YES, there are brook trout in Wolf Creek. Dog Cop knows his fish.

k9mark
06-30-2013, 03:17 PM
That's about the size fish I caught dickwhite. Quite the little fighter he was too. I'm trying to post photos but im having issues loading them. Hope to have them soon. One question if someone knows, is the meadow private property or protected off wolf creek rd? My next trip im going to the end of the dixon mine rd and fishing the carson up from there.

Ralph
06-30-2013, 04:54 PM
That's about the size fish I caught dickwhite. Quite the little fighter he was too. I'm trying to post photos but im having issues loading them. Hope to have them soon. One question if someone knows, is the meadow private property or protected off wolf creek rd? My next trip im going to the end of the dixon mine rd and fishing the carson up from there.

The meadow used to be Private, Posted, and Patrolled by some very special people. Remember Lonnie? Always seemed something hinky about the place. Stunning property. I'd even learn the banjo to hang there. Maybe ownership has changed?

k9mark
06-30-2013, 06:08 PM
This was my first time there so I don't know who Lonnie is, but the homestead I saw off Wolf Creek Rd by Dixon Mine Rd appeared very well maintained, etc. I don't know what I'll find going down Dixon Mine Rd to the Carson. I saw no signs posted along the meadow either so I dont know if its private or forest service land.

Fly Guy Dave
06-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Last time I went down that road, it was steep, rocky and slow going, but it went right to the EC. It wasn't gated, private or restricted in any way.

dickwhite
07-01-2013, 10:04 AM
If you enjoyed Wolf Crk. Try hiking into the Carson Iceberg, upstream on the East Carson. You'll love it.

Dick
Tahoma Meadows B&B

dickwhite
07-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Ralph, I haven't seen the posted signs in a couple of years. I've never done too well in the meadow anyway. I lost the tip section of my favorite 3 wt there in the meadow a couple of years ago. If there were hillbillies around I would have fit right in. or maybe the sight of the naked guy jumping into the creek scared them away. - Dick

k9mark
07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
I was actually reading up on that, Dick. I was looking on the maps and there is a trailhead leading to the Vaquero jeep trail that's about two miles or so I'm going to check out. Also contemplating a silver king trip too.