PDA

View Full Version : Sea Ranch

roywest
06-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Turns out we'll be at Sea Ranch for a few days next week.

Anyone willing to offer suggestions for surf casting in that area? I finally got into some perch in San Diego earlier this year and am eager to experiment in NorCal waters.

Thanks,

__Roy

Mike O
06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Not fishing, but take snorkel gear...get some abalone

hodge
06-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Not fishing, but take snorkel gear...get some abalone

You may want to check the regs first.....I believe it may be closed for the month of July.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-28-2013, 03:20 PM
You could look at the little short winter steelhead rivers to see what they look like.

Closed this time of year but you could recon them anyway for a future trip.

Dec/Jan/Feb is when they are usually good, dependingon the weather.

Russian, Gualala and Garcia Rivers are close to Sea Ranch.

Mike McKenzie
06-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Turns out we'll be at Sea Ranch for a few days next week.

Anyone willing to offer suggestions for surf casting in that area? I finally got into some perch in San Diego earlier this year and am eager to experiment in NorCal waters.

Thanks,

__Roy

You might try the beach at the mouth of the Gualala River, a short drive north or a 30 minute drive north to Manchester Beach (Just above Pt. Arena)... I've done well both places in the past for surf perch..small Clousers #6-4..Rootbeer Krystal flash body w/ orange mirabou tail...

Mike

Mike O
06-29-2013, 02:49 PM
You may want to check the regs first.....I believe it may be closed for the month of July.

You are right...didn't look at a calendar

roywest
06-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Sorry to be dense, but I don't see in the regs where the surf perch season is closed in July in Sonoma Co. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me decipher the regs to understand what I've missed here.

Mike McKenzie
07-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Sorry to be dense, but I don't see in the regs where the surf perch season is closed in July in Sonoma Co. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me decipher the regs to understand what I've missed here.

It's not closed. The closed reference had to do with Mike O's suggestion to go after Abs instead. No take of Abalone in July allowed.

Mike

roywest
07-03-2013, 09:16 AM
It's not closed. The closed reference had to do with Mike O's suggestion to go after Abs instead. No take of Abalone in July allowed.

Mike

Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I'm confident I haven't had an ab in 30 years...

roywest
07-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Spent about an hour on a small beach as the tide was coming in -- Walk On Beach. It was blowing like crazy. I was wearing sandals and shorts. The water was shockingly cold. Gave up after slamming line and fly into the back of my head -- no harm done, but realized I was risking serious impaling. No hint of fish. No particular sign of beach crustaceans, either.

But a lovely morning...