PDA

View Full Version : American River Steelhead/Striper Rod Recs?

Braden
06-26-2013, 10:14 AM
First of all, hello. This is my first post on this forum, been lurking for a couple of weeks. I've been fly fishing for about 20 years or so, but almost exclusively for trout in mountain rivers and streams (the Pit and Truckee being regional favorites). I've lived in Sacramento for about 5 years, but have never really taken the time to learn how to fish the Lower American. I had a few good days of shad fishing this spring, and now I'm fired up to figure out the river that is literally a part of my city.

I'd like to get a rod that I can fish for both steelhead and stripers with. I'd also like to not spend a ton of money. I know one of the recommendations will be to get into the shop and talk to the pros, but I also wanted to get input here, see if you guys have a setup that's been successful for both kinds of fish.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Charlie Gonzales
06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
look into a 7 or 8wt. The new Grizzley Hackle series is great for the money. A Rio versatip would be a great line also.

winxp_man
06-26-2013, 10:58 AM
You can use a single hand 7wt or 8wt rod and will be perfect. Sportsmans Warehouse had TFO 8wt rods on sale from 149.99 down to 69.99 (if I remember correctly) and this rod at this money would be a good rod to start with. As for a reel I can recommend a the Lamson reels either the Konic or Guru models which I think are a hell of a reel for the money! It's all what you want to spend.

winxp_man
06-26-2013, 10:59 AM
look into a 7 or 8wt. The new Grizzley Hackle series is great for the money. A Rio versatip would be a great line also.

Yes I will second the versi tip II system. My brother is using it and loves it!! Got quite a few shad with it this year.

Charlie I didn't even see your post but seems like great minds think alike :D

Jeff Putnam
06-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Switch rods (11' #7) are perfect for the American River and most rivers with anadromous fish. They can handle both overhead and spey casting styles. The 11 foot length makes launching shooting heads or Rio's Versa Tip System a breeze. Wading deep....no problem, its 11' long, the use of the bottom hand will have your shoulders and arms thanking you after casting and fishing all day. A switch rod, unlike a "true" spey rod, lends itself to dead drifting as well when needed. Its also great for swinging or stripping flies that will give you the "'TUG"! Check out one of the largest selections of switch rods at kienes grizzly hackle. Good luck, Jeff

Braden
06-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys. Pardon my noobishness, but is the only difference between a switch and spey rod the length? I was in Kienes a few weeks ago and the guy in there was telling me about spey rods. I'd heard of them, never fished with one though. I'll be mostly bank fishing on the American, so it sounds like it could be a good option, allowing me to access more water.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-26-2013, 07:57 PM
If you are going to be wading I would get a two handed fly rod........out of a boat I would get a single hand fly rod.