PDA

View Full Version : Upper Yuba report 6-8 & questions!

TTM
06-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Was on the upper Yuba two weekends ago, had a great time. We fished the stretch off 49 between downieville and sierra city. Arrived on a blistering hot Saturday the 8th in the evening in time for an epic hatch. Little 6-8 inchers were eating anything that floated, particularly golden stoneflies, little stones, orange stims. Didn't see other hatches than that although i had some luck on nymphs and dries the next day.

Had some more luck early in the morning then the fishing just died in the afternoon. It was a pretty warm weekend to be honest. Still new to the game and missed plenty of strikes but caught a half dozen guys smaller than 10 inches.

We've decided to go back up this weekend - it will be noticeably cooler. We want to hit some bigger trout - can anyone throw out some suggestions for spots that work for them, or gear? How about the tribs if the water is still a little warm for the fish? Lavezzola creek?

jayclarkflyfishing
06-18-2013, 09:02 PM
This time of year expect to see lots of little guys on the North Yuba. Try nymphing the deeper holes for some larger fish but keep in mind a "big" fish in that stretch of the river is 13-15" with a 17" every once in a while. Best of luck to you!

Jay

TTM
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
This time of year expect to see lots of little guys on the North Yuba. Try nymphing the deeper holes for some larger fish but keep in mind a "big" fish in that stretch of the river is 13-15" with a 17" every once in a while. Best of luck to you!

Jay

Good pointers - how about lower yuba or some of the streams in the area (truckee)..? Or the reservoirs (Gold, salmon, sardine)

BobVP
06-18-2013, 10:02 PM
TTM,
Lavazolla Creek is one of my all time favorite places to fish. Beautiful, quiet and fishy. That said, I have never caught a "big" fish there. I would guess the largest fish I've ever taken there was 11-12" and that was unusual. If you want solitude and great fishing for the most colorful wild trout then that is the place to go...but "big"? Stick with the deeper pools on the Yuba or try one of the lakes/reservoirs.

troutless
06-18-2013, 10:14 PM
There is a big pool right on the west side of Sierra City that is always full of big trout. You can't miss it, you can see it from the highway and it's a real easy walk. It's more gear water but really about anything will work.