PDA

View Full Version : Seattle, Would you?

Digger
06-17-2013, 12:52 PM
I’m soliciting responses from those who have real firsthand knowledge of the Seattle area; maybe you live or have lived there. Or maybe you frequent the area regularly.

I’m considering relocation, now that the company I work for has been acquired by a company that also has operations in Redmond, among other places.

Obviously as an angler, there’s the thought that having the accessibility to some very productive steelhead waters not so far from home, a very appealing one.

As it is now, I drive from So. Ca to the Klamath or Trinity only a couple times a year because of the logistics and distance.
And not that it’s a requirement, but it is a long drive back after a few days and not even a tug.

But that isn’t the foremost consideration, I’m taking in the other aspects of cost of living, no state taxes, traffic, congestion, weather, crime, etc. Oh, and I'm also a big time skier. I've vistied briefly and one of the lasting memeories is that it is a very scenic setting for a city.

So if anyone could respond candidly on any or all of this, I’d certainly appreciate the feedback, pros- cons, etc.

Thanks much!
Mike

Jake O
06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
I believe you have answered your own question when you stated that you currently live in So Cal...isnt anything an upgrade? Seriously though, Seattle is nice.

Digger
06-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Lol, yeah.
But I live in a more decent area on the Ventura county line, thank God.
if it weren't for that, I'd have moved long ago.

amoeba
06-17-2013, 01:51 PM
I only visit and pass through there regularly; other than fishing - which is better in most respects than SoCal:

-good skiing close by in Canada (Whistler-Blackcombe), not so interesting State-side (Hood, Batchelor)
-cooler temp, some periods of rain/clouds, mainly in winter (I like this better than 9 months of blazing sun/no rain; but this bothers some people so much they bail).
-one less segment to fly to Alaska;
-low, but inevitable, long term risks (volcanic activity)
-reasonable access to beaches, hiking, etc., but alot of people/traffic some times.

Pete
06-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Mike - If I could move to Seattle, I would regardless of the fishing - although that's a plus. It's a beautiful place and the city has a lot to offer. Many people enter into a love hate relationship with the weather - but I liked it. There are 4 distinct seasons and winter is tough. Spring, summer and fall are awesome. As for traffic and congestion, I-5 through Seattle can be a nightmare, but it's a major metropolitan area. However, I've been stuck in 405 traffic and that was the worst I have ever experienced. Crime - I always felt comfortable walking the city at night. It has it's rough areas but that's everywhere. As far as cost of living - I can't comment on that in relation to your present situation, but Seattle is by no means an inexpensive place to live or an expensive place to live. There are some rough areas and some absolutely unreal affluent areas and there are some very nice thriving middle class neighborhoods. I would recommend heading up there for a long weekend. Take the tram (forgot the actual name) from Sea-Tac into Seattle. Seattle is a very walkable city. Grab a cup of coffee and take a few ferry rides out to neighboring cities/towns/islands. Do some exploring - Seattle is a great place. I miss it and would jump on a plane now if I could. Hope my $.02 helps. Good luck -

Darian
06-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I've been through and visited Seattle many times over the years but aways in the summer/early fall. Found it to be a beautiful, friendly city. Can't say what it might be like in winter but suppose it's a lot like living around Eureka. Haven't been there when it snows in the city but it occasionally does. Since you currently live in an area with a sunny climate, you might not adjust easily to the Seattle climate. No more light weight clothing....

All of the things you pointed out about access to good fishing, other places and activities, etc., is true. However, it's a different type of fishing than in SoCal (even in the ocean). Ocean water temps are colder. Thus, no tropical saltwater species. Not much swimming in the surf or rivers in the immediate area, I'd imagine. Also, your travel time from Seattle to some of the better ski areas doesn't appear to be much different than going to Mammoth from where you are, now. Do they salt the highways up there?? If so, you'll experience increased wear/rust on your vehicles.

As to taxes, it's true that WA doesn't tax personal income but does sales and property (personal/real and no Prop 13) at comparable or higher rates to CA's. Like CA, there're local (city/county) sales taxes to add to the state's tax. Further, There's a estate tax that's enforced regardless of whether the feds no longer have one. So, no free lunch.

At any rate, it's nice to have options. How about checking out some of the other places your employer has to offer???

Good luck at whatever you decide to do.... :cool:

Larry S
06-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Mike,
Gotta laugh at the broad brush some of the posters use to describe "SoCal." To each his own. Ventura area has some of the best
surf fishing on the west coast. Keep in mind that rivers into Puget Sound are closed around the first of the year to
"protect" the wild fish. Shawn Kempkes can correct me, if I'm wrong. The Olympic Pennisula is doable; you're close to BC, some
summer steel heading available and ,yes, there is the skiing. Seattle area has a high suicide rate due to the "gloom" that descends
every winter. Seattle traffic rivals any big city. Would I move there? Certainly, if the opportunity arose I spent lots of time
there in the summers of 1970-80 and really liked the people.
Good luck with your decision. Hope you stay aboard the Kiene ship.
Best,
Larry S

Digger
06-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Larry, D, Pete,
Thanks for the responses.
I've been living down here way too long and like I said, I'm hours away from the things I love to do, so that travel time in itself is a big de-motivator.
There's also the possibility of xfer to Sacramento, but being from there originally I don't have strong aspirations to move back, although being centrally located to most of No Ca is a big plus.
Climate certainly is a big factor, although I view myself as more of a 'winter' person, I spent one year in Truckee and that was all I needed to tell me what a pain in the ass real winter can be. Lately these long dry summers and Santa Ana's are taking their toll. A few weeks back we had a wildfire that came a bit too close.

I'm really not much of a saltwater/surf fisher, don't know why, maybe haven't haven't given it a good chance.

I've made reservations for the long Independence Day weekend to spend it up there and kind of get a feel for the area and the real estate prices. I guess it would be better to visit in mid-winter for a reality check, but too late for that.
Thanks again for the thoughts.

TyV
06-18-2013, 12:29 AM
A different take from someone who lived in rainy Oregon for 16 years. I spent a year and a half living outside Seattle and couldn't take it. That year "summer" came in the form of a single weekend. In Oregon we slug through 8 months of grey wet gloom for the 4 months that are heaven on earth. In Seattle some years it really is 12 months of grey wet and gloom...it's brutal.

Beautiful sure...but coming from sunny California the odds that you will be happy are not very good. That is just a reality. If you do go, buy "happy lights" your home, office and tying bench...will certainly help your chances. They are worth every penny! The stories are true about Seasonal Affected Disorder. You would make a prime candidate going from constant sun to very little. Oh and don't let your trip in July/August fool you if you happen to have brilliant weather.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Fish ON

oldtrout
06-18-2013, 01:05 AM
I came very close to moving to Seattle several years ago, but apparently I do better in environments with more sunlight than Seattle receives (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Edit - please forgive, I didn't read the post above.

jbird
06-18-2013, 06:08 AM
I spend quite a bit of time in and around Seattle. I could never live there. But thats just the redneck in me :) #hatethecity

Digger
06-18-2013, 06:45 PM
thanks guys.
I have concerns about the climate as well, otherwise it might be a slam dunk decision.
And I think the older you get, the less adaptable one can become.

On the other hand, I'm kinda gloomy any way! Lol.
I thought getting to do the things that I'm passionate about more often might help that!
Hahaha. Kind of a catch 22

jbird
06-18-2013, 06:56 PM
You would surely be much closer to some much wilder country than you are now. Especially if you have a craving for chrome ;)

wineslob
06-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Vancouver Island. Cowichan River.......................I'd still have to think about it.

Kneedeep
06-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Personally like Washington, but Seattle weather, traffic, and state liquor prices are big cons to think about. Seattle does have some fantastic fishing/dining on hand, but the aforementioned 3 would shade my choice. Liquor prices are state wide obviously.
Tough to beat the price of hooch in Ca.

John Forsyth
06-19-2013, 03:04 PM
I went to UW quite a while ago and lived in Gig Harbor for three years from 1992-5. I visit a fair amount. Everyone talks about the weather being such a big deal, but I don't agree. You definitely have to know what you are getting into. It is quite different from Ventura. The winter can get long and dreary, but otherwise the weather moves through pretty fast. You are relatively close to so many oportunities both fishing and otherwise. I would say that steelhead fishing in Puget Sound is about non-existent anymore. You will probably have to come back down to the Trinity to catch some steel. It actually won't be that much further of a drive than you do right now. You would be in reach of some great lake fishing in E. Washington, and also all the other inland PNW fisheries possibilities. Many of you neighbors will be transplanted Californians, so you'll feel right at home. I don't really care for SoCal, so for me it would be an easy decision. I would say cost of living, traffic, housing will be similar to SoCal. There is a lot of nearby skiing also.

Charlie S
06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
If you don't mind copious amounts of rain and dull weather go. If not, consider other areas. If the Redmond you referred to is Oregon, highly recommend that area for some great fly fishing.

lando
06-19-2013, 05:07 PM
I lived in Olympia, Tacoma and Seattle in the 90s, loved it and would move back in a second if I could. I would have to disagree regarding the Trinity...I'd rather fish the Olympic Peninsula for chrome any day. Plus, you're an easy drive from BC and OR fishing. I didn't mind the weather so much, because the green and water made it worth it.

Magic
06-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Funny thing, my company HQS is in Redmond too. I am up there 1-2x per month. Traffic is bad, especially around Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, areas. Housing is very expensive too in these areas. Microsoft double incomes are fueling a big expansion right now. Fishing I can not speak to but heard it is pretty good for steelhead. Summer time and Fall is nice but the long grey winters are a downer. See if you can commute from Idaho, SLC or N. Cal.
Best of Luck,

Steelie-Stalker
06-20-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm from the East SF Bay and moved up in the fall to Seattle to attend Seattle U for school. I think its an absolutely great place to live, great people and incredible placement (among the sound, the cascades, and the olympic peninsula) as far as outdoor opportunities.

Fishing:

Depending on what you like to fish for, Seattle can be awesome. Don't be fooled though, because basically all the sound rivers (skykomish, snoqualmie, green, skagit, stillaguamish) are in pretty (well extremely) awful shape. Most good steel heading is a few hours drive away, either across the sound onto the peninsula (which is increasingly crowded) or to the east side like the klickitat, wenatchee, methow. There's also the Kalama, Cowlitz, and Lewis that offer good opportunities for steel (3-4 hours away).

If you like beach fishing, the saltwater fishing in the sound is pretty spectactular. Cohos of the beach in the fall, pinks every other year, and Sea Run Cutthroat year round makes for some awesome fishing if being out on the sound in the salt is your thing.

Trout fishing availability is soso. Besides the Yakima, there are no real "great" trout streams. Lots of small streams that in the summer you can find sub 12" fish, but not much like the East Walker or Truckee or Yuba. Lots of people fish still waters for trout, that seems to be the main trout game in town.

Living: I personally love it. Its hard not not to love the area and the people. As far as weather, it hasn't been too bad for me (coming from SF East bay with the majority of the year being sun). I've actually found that because there are few nice days that when it is a nice day I feel like I appreciate it more and everyone gets outside. I have yet to spend a summer there, but have heard they can be awesome. The constant overcast/drizzle in the winter I just kind of ignore, and it never seemed to really get to me. The traffic, not so great but I bet you've experienced that in SoCal already.

Any other questions let me know!

-Ryder

the_gnarwhale
06-21-2013, 04:27 PM
-good skiing close by in Canada (Whistler-Blackcombe), not so interesting State-side (Hood, Batchelor)

WB isn't exactly close and MHM and Bachelor are in Oregon...that said Crystal is super legit (think Alpine) and Alpental is pretty sweet. Baker is haul and is super rad and Steven's aint bad either.

hwchubb
06-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Mike,

I recently switched jobs, and the only disappointment was giving up Seattle. Don't go for the steelhead, though - that fishery, even the OP, is not what it was. But sea run cutts, pinks, chums, silvers, blackmouths (immature kings), and simply fishing Puget Sound beaches will make up for it. Great seafood, great wines and micros, sea level to 10K' elevation in a few miles, and some incredible inland still waters and Columbia drainage steelhead rivers will make up for it. It's God's country, but it is a little colder and drearier (but not as bad as it's reputation). Traffic stinks, it will make you appreciate SoCal.

Digger
06-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Gosh, great comments from all of ya! Thank you.

A lot of what I had expected, at least the weather & traffic seems to consistently be two of the biggest drawbacks.

But I'm a little more surprised that local steelheading is also viewed in such bad shape, not that I was expecting to be able to drive a 1/2 hour and be hooking them left and right. John's comment about chances are better in the Trinity, is concerning, along with the others commenting about the decline and "awful" shape of these famous rivers.
Would I be naive to believe that within 2-3 hrs or so one could be at a spot where chances are fairly decent and not a total waste of time? As it is now, I have to drive 8-9 hrs.

The skiing opportunities sound positive, but I wonder if lift lines would be any thing like Mammoth on a weekend?

Having been raised in Sacramento, and lived in Tahoe briefly, I am not totally clueless of winter climates and what to expect.
But, it's true until one deals with it it year in, and year out it can wear you down.
It would be sad to move somewhere with really certain expectations and be disappointed and stuck there, or have to spend thousands to relocate yet again.

Thanks again to everyone.
Mike

jbird
06-22-2013, 10:05 AM
There isnt anywhere in the PNW where there isnt good steelheading within 2-3 hrs. If I was relocated to the puget sound area, my very first venture would be to get a good boat for open water. The sound itself is a maze of fishing op's. Huge runs of salmon run certain shorlines in certain seasons. Searun cutts can keep you entertained all year and a smorgasboard of other finny fair that could keep your rod bent. Good rain gear and warm underwear does miracles for extending your endurance in foul weather. There can be epic runs of all 5 pacific salmon species. The problem with the area is the massive population. This is why the rivers are nearby are the way they are. It may be that Mt. St. Hellens also cause some irreversable damage to some systems.
There is fantastic fishing almost everywhere in America, you just got to crack the codes :)

I was in south Seattle all last week. It sprinkled twice and was otherwise amazing weather. Heres some pictures I took. The Sound was pure glass for 5 straight days!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/JDS_5207_zpsd4da2300.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jbird35/media/JDS_5207_zpsd4da2300.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/JDS_5229_zpsf462d3cf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jbird35/media/JDS_5229_zpsf462d3cf.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/JDS_5242_zps981fd383.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jbird35/media/JDS_5242_zps981fd383.jpg.html)

JohnD
06-22-2013, 10:22 AM
I've got a phone interview for a job in Bellevue next week. I'm considering it.

TyV
06-22-2013, 12:24 PM
If you want real answers about steelhead up there, you should join and post to this:

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php

Awesome forum like this one and mostly very friendly, helpful folks. Complete nonsense that the steelhead opps aren't very good! Not what they once were, sure...but not good compared to so cal? That's just dumb.

Lachlan
06-26-2013, 03:28 AM
I believe you have responded to your own query when you mentioned that you currently reside in So Cal...isnt anything an upgrade? Seriously though, Dallas is awesome.