PDA

View Full Version : Vest alternatives --- Fishpond Backpack/Chestpack Combos

goby
06-17-2013, 06:46 AM
I'm looking at using something other than a vest. I figure backpacks must be much more comfortable. I also want a hydration bag.

So are most of you still using a vest? Have you started using the new products from Fishpond, Orvis, Patagonia, etc?

I'm wondering if there is something better than my classic Orvis Tak-L vest. Thanks!

PatrickM
06-17-2013, 08:57 AM
William Joseph make some good packs. I've had the older version of the Exodus for a while and really like it. You can take off the front pockets and just use the pack by itself.

DFrink
06-17-2013, 12:34 PM
I use a camelback. Vests look cool, but I always thought they would get very hot in the summer? I hate having to take the pack off to change flies, but it does slow me down which is sometimes a good thing. Any comments on this?

Ralph
06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
I hate 'em all. The one I hate the least is the Umpqua Ledge 650 hip pack. Holds lots of stuff, but keeps it well organized unlike many of the other hip packs. Has an aluminum stay which keeps the pack off the small of your back so it ventilates well. It also swings around to the front VERY easily which makes it nice for changing tippet, flies, etc.

Hydration bladder - meh. Fishing means water. Get one of those small water filter straws from REI and you can suck directly from the river if you are at some lovely place like below the homeless camp on the American.

Bob Loblaw
06-17-2013, 05:59 PM
I just want something that holds a water bottle. Lost another one out of my Simms hip pack today on the Stanislaus.

Larry S
06-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Goby,
The sling packs are a consideration. I use the Orvis Safe Passage model for the surf. I can fit it underneath my waders to
keep it from being doused with saltwater. Kiene carries the Patagonia Stealth Atomic(?) sling pack and it is very
popular.
Best,
Larry S

JohnD
06-17-2013, 10:18 PM
I haven't used a vest in years. I've got 2 chest packs and a sling. I don't use the sling. It looks cool, but doesn't hold much. The pack I use now has a backpack too. Think I've got both Fishpond and William Joseph packs.

ladalske
06-17-2013, 10:31 PM
I use a small Timbuk2 messenger bag. It is fairly water proof and hold what I need.

Ed Wahl
06-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Ralph, have you given any thought to designing a pack for canyon fishing? Some sanity based front pockets for fly boxes and a backpack for some lunch and water bottles for the 2 or 3 hr climb back out? I've way overpaid many times trying to find one that just does this. To no avail. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to design something like that. Ed

Sammy
06-17-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm looking at using something other than a vest. I figure backpacks must be much more comfortable. I also want a hydration bag.

So are most of you still using a vest? Have you started using the new products from Fishpond, Orvis, Patagonia, etc?

I'm wondering if there is something better than my classic Orvis Tak-L vest. Thanks!

ditched the vest years ago and now use a backpack. I don't mind the extra baggage it's still way better than a vest. Plus i can carry beer, camera, lunch, a light sweatshirt and water in it. If I stop in an area and end up fishing for a while I will take the pack off. Orvis carries a great one with two chest pockets for gear.

Ralph
06-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Ed-
For canyoning I just wear a daypack (Osprey Stratos. . . love it! Or Patagonia Stormfront if there are going to be some swims) and a shirt with cargo pockets. Usually need only one fly box, a couple of tippet spools, nippers and floatant. Like you, I've ever been happy with the combo vest/day pack rigs.

goby
06-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Ed-
For canyoning I just wear a daypack (Osprey Stratos. . . love it! Or Patagonia Stormfront if there are going to be some swims) and a shirt with cargo pockets. Usually need only one fly box, a couple of tippet spools, nippers and floatant. Like you, I've ever been happy with the combo vest/day pack rigs.

I love my Osprey. That's an idea....

DFrink
06-19-2013, 06:23 AM
+1 for Osprey packs. They are soooo comfortable and really well designed. Like others I have found a small pack to be the ticket. Don't change setups often enough to warrant having a pack on my chest (to hot in the canyons where I fish).

goby
06-24-2013, 06:43 AM
I tried on a chest pack. I hated it.

I might get the Umpqua waist pack. I like it. I still haven't tried a sling.

goby
07-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Here's my update.....

I bought an inexpensive waist pack from The Fly Shop. I absolutely love it. It doesn't have the bells and whistles that the Umpqua has, but I liked the price (less than half).

k9mark
07-07-2013, 09:53 PM
I just purchased the Umqua Ledges 500 waistpack the other day. All I can say is its awesome. Very comfortable and no sag. I looked at a bunch of waistpacks, Tried them on, but the Umqua I say beats them all. A very well thought out pack.

oldtrout
07-09-2013, 03:48 AM
I've spent a great deal of time researching this exact thing. My conclusion is get yourself a ghillie.

Trust me, you'll never go back to using vests, packs, slingabobs etc.

k9mark
07-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I've spent a great deal of time researching this exact thing. My conclusion is get yourself a ghillie.

Lol, too hot though...

goby
07-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I just purchased the Umqua Ledges 500 waistpack the other day. All I can say is its awesome. Very comfortable and no sag. I looked at a bunch of waistpacks, Tried them on, but the Umqua I say beats them all. A very well thought out pack.

I'm glad I got my waist pack, because it was cheap and I didn't know if I would like it. But that Umpqua 500 looks amazing.

Mr F
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I've been very happy with the REI Flash 18 backpack. It takes a camelback, holds my lunch rainjacket and fishing gear, and only costs $34. After I hike to my destination I place a small fly box (Cliff's Days Worth) floatant split-shot and a few (cough! cough!) bobbers in my shirt pocket. I keep my tools and tippet on a homemade lanyard. Sometimes I'll keep a larger fly box in the pack, but most of the time I keep it light.

My Simms waist pack is great when I'm staying close to the truck, but for hiking it's just too much dead weight. I do 10+ miles a day with the Flash pack and hardly notice it. By keeping it light and simple my backcountry fishing has become less of a hassle and far more enjoyable.

pgw
07-10-2013, 10:08 AM

You have to carry the Ghillie using a Fireman's Carry and that prevents casting...the one I had in England carried everything in a shoulder bag that was similar to a "Messenger" bag...I use a Wood River Bag when I don't use a vest.

Paul

SHigSpeed
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I've been very happy with the REI Flash 18 backpack. It takes a camelback, holds my lunch rainjacket and fishing gear, and only costs $34. After I hike to my destination I place a small fly box (Cliff's Days Worth) floatant split-shot and a few (cough! cough!) bobbers in my shirt pocket. I keep my tools and tippet on a homemade lanyard. Sometimes I'll keep a larger fly box in the pack, but most of the time I keep it light.

My Simms waist pack is great when I'm staying close to the truck, but for hiking it's just too much dead weight. I do 10+ miles a day with the Flash pack and hardly notice it. By keeping it light and simple my backcountry fishing has become less of a hassle and far more enjoyable.

The Flash 18 is a cool little pack. Weighs nothing, and the suspension is great for controlling the little bundle if you chose to keep it on your back. Flip it inside out and it's a nice stuff sack if you are doing a day trip out of base camp backpacking.

_SHig

itsbenlong
07-10-2013, 08:00 PM
I have been through a ton of vests, packs, etc...

The best so far for me has been the Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling....

It is up high on your back and out of the way until you need it, then it rotates to the front for easy access. It holds a water bottle as well...

I was also very surprised as to how much gear it holds......more than I use in a day for sure.....