PDA

View Full Version : Ash Camp or Ahi Di Nah?

BobVP
06-16-2013, 08:14 AM
If you had the chance to spend two full days on the McCloud which place would you stay?

I've read the descriptions in both Chip O'Brien's and Seth Norman's books but I would love to hear some first hand accounts.

Thanks.

JGB
06-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Fishing/water quality is about the same. AC is easier to get to, but this can make it crowded too. ADN gets crowded also because one must fish The Conservancy once in their life. ADN has more access points, whereas AC really only has one. ADN allows the vehicles/fishers to spread out a little more and they can fish upstream and down. At AC you pretty much have to fish downstream, so everyone accesses the stream at almost the same point, although you can gain more/unlimited access downstream by following the PCT as far as you want, and then drop down to the stream.

You pretty much can't go wrong with either spot. ADN is the glamor spot, but not necessarily the better fishing spot. Once you're on the stream you can't tell the difference.

Bottom line is that the McCloud is as nice a place to trout fish as there is anywhere, everyone should be lucky enough to have a chance to fish there. It is a humbling(in a good way) experience, and it really is a shrine that needs to be preserved and protected.

amoeba
06-17-2013, 11:08 AM
If you had the chance to spend tow full days on the McCloud which place would you stay?

I've read the descriptions in both Chip O'Brien's and Seth Norman's books but I would love to hear some first hand accounts.

Thanks.

If I had a 4WD - with decent clearance, I would stay at Ah-Di-Nah; if 2WD, I would stay at Ash Camp. ADN is a real camp (charges money, nominal fee; some reasonable space between campsites); Ash Camp is just a place where people park at the end of a road - no facilities. Bring earplugs/noseplugs, or be tolerant for usual disturbances of tight camping at Ash - otherwise - you can try to hike down the Pacific Crest Trail and camp somewhere along there; I've done it with someone who knows the area real well - but hard to find level sites unless you know where they are.

BobVP
06-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the responses.
Two questions: I have an "all wheel drive" Subaru Forester. Good enough to get to ADN?
One of the books suggests there are some "..unofficial places to camp..between the NC and ADN....without facilities" (which suits me). Have you stayed at any of those places? I have nothing against staying at ADN I just want to cover myself it case it is full.

Thanks again,

Bob

amoeba
06-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the responses.
Two questions: I have an "all wheel drive" Subaru Forester. Good enough to get to ADN?
One of the books suggests there are some "..unofficial places to camp..between the NC and ADN....without facilities" (which suits me). Have you stayed at any of those places? I have nothing against staying at ADN I just want to cover myself it case it is full.

Thanks again,

Bob

I'd say yes, your rig will make it; and no, I haven't off-road camped between the Nature Conservancy and AhDiNah; in fact, I remember the road being kinda tight in places as you approach NC; but I think there are some pull-offs - can't recall exactly where. There's a decent number of sites at the campground. It has at least water and a head. I think you will figure it out.

Bitter Dave
06-17-2013, 05:39 PM
I was at ADN and the Nature Conservancy about a year ago and I don't remember the road being that bad. Back then I felt like you could drive it with a family sedan if you took a little bit of care about wheel placement. I had no problems with a 2WD truck. There is a campsite near the Nature Conservancy where you will need a 4x4 (iffy with a AWD Subie), but the trail is only 40 feet, so you might as well walk it. I don't know if the road conditions have changed since last year though.

Pupa
06-17-2013, 07:41 PM
last time we drove to ADN in 4wd and we were lucky enough to puncture not one but two tires on the same stalagmite-shaped rock camouflaged by the tree canopy shadows and the beer. we lost 2 days of fishing after having to drive 20+ plus miles on a flat tire that eventually became a no tire and a bent rim. tow truck, motel in mount shasta, car repair shop, new tire order, etc. adn is awesome but be very careful when driving down. that being said, i also made it down many years ago in a honda civic with no spare tire. go figure.

amoeba
06-18-2013, 09:28 AM
I was at ADN and the Nature Conservancy about a year ago and I don't remember the road being that bad. Back then I felt like you could drive it with a family sedan if you took a little bit of care about wheel placement. I had no problems with a 2WD truck. There is a campsite near the Nature Conservancy where you will need a 4x4 (iffy with a AWD Subie), but the trail is only 40 feet, so you might as well walk it. I don't know if the road conditions have changed since last year though.

Not me. I've been up near there and I would NOT take my "family sedan" on that road and it is a beater (300K+ miles). It's a long, slow-enough drive in a truck.. Perhaps not "that bad" - but not good either - pretty crappy in fact ---- it is not an even, graveled surface. You could bottom out a number of places, and more than once. Last time on a road like this - I impaled an old railroad spike into a tire, and flat areas to change a tire are infrequent. That said, a subaru should make it.

Bitter Dave
06-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Hmm, I guess I remember the road being smoother. I drove it with my brother and felt that if we were careful, we could have taken his Acura Integra for most of the way. The only part that may not have been passable was one switchback that had some drainage ruts cut into it. We even ran into a large sedan (don't remember what) towing a pop-up camper coming heading back up (probably not coming from ADN).

This is what I remember 95% of the road looks like:
http://c612902.r2.cf2.rackcdn.com/AhDiNaRoadScary_2kpx.jpg
http://allthingsshasta.com/wordpress/?p=836
http://www.tedfay.com/images/Neil%20McCloud%20River%20002.JPG

Either way you should be fine with the Subie, assuming no punctures. Looks like I'll have to go again and "re-verify" the road conditions. Might stop to do some fishing too. :D

Disclaimer: We also took my bother's Integra on Fender's Ferry road. It was unpleasant and difficult at times, but passable.

Bob Loblaw
06-18-2013, 06:10 PM
I stayed at the conservancy a couple of weeks ago and the road to ah di Na is passable in a sedan if you're careful...don't try taking it further there are a couple of spots that will bottom you out. I have a Pathfinder and it was a bit of an adventure. I've seen all sorts of 2wd cars at adn camp. Fishing is awesome as is the scenery!

BobVP
06-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the information.
My last plan to fish the McCloud was thrown off by the fire.

Troutsource
06-18-2013, 08:29 PM
If I'm reading this map correctly, the Bagley Fire from last September burned right up to the south side of Hawkins Creek at Ash Camp: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/map/3188/3/

Bob Loblaw
06-18-2013, 09:16 PM
The fire burned right down to the bank opposite the Preserve.

Craig Nielsen
06-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Bob:
Feel free to ring me for details of fishing at both Ash Camp and Ah Di Na. I have been to them this week, and each week all season. They are both fishing well but are crowded which can make things a bit technical. Happy to discuss road conditions, and camping options in detail. I drive a Subara Tribeca but go slow to the Nature Conservancy.
A note that others did not discuss is that most of the wading and particularly the hiking at Ash Camp is more challenging than on the Nature Conservancy and at Ah Di Na. Again feel free to ring, mornings are best I have been fishing late. I hope your trip is enjoyable.

BobVP
07-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Now I get it! After all the years I have heard of the legendary fishing in the lower McCloud...the snakes, heat, bears, road....Did I mention HEAT! I finally Get It!
I live in logging country....McCloud road (to ADN) is truly awful!
Tactical wading....Lots of poison oak....104/105 at 2pm the other day....At least the heat kept the snakes down!

Oh, the fishing! Blissful! Not skunked! Just great fishing. Just as described by Bob at Ted Fay's Shop. Never went further than 34/ to 1 mile from ADN and the water was fishy and exciting. Got my best fish on a zug bug...fished DEEP...fishing slowed after the sun was on the water and picked up after the sun was gone. Did I say spectacular? I meant to!

No pictures....I don't usually take them.

Thanks to you all that chimed in with the help and Craig, I saw the Shasta Trout rig on my way out Tuesday, as I was folding up my tent. Hope you did well after that....I wen and fought the freeway work above Yreka!