PDA

View Full Version : reel balancing a rod question

John Sv
06-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi,
I've got one of the English made Battenkill disc reels in an 8/9 size. It is less than 4" in diameter, but kinda wide. It'll hold a 6 wt spey setup's worth of line. My question: It seems as though there is more to it than just will it hold the line, and having only casted balanced setups (as deemed by others in the know) I'm lacking in knowing what unbalanced might feel like.... Has anyone used this reel for a 6 wt spey (not switch) setup? In cruising some forums I have noticed a lot of people use the 10/11 version of the same reel for 6-8 wt setups.
Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-13-2013, 12:13 PM
You might call our fly shop and ask fro Doug or Terry who are our major Spey guys......

1-800-400-0359

Mark Kranhold
06-13-2013, 01:18 PM
John, what length 6 wt? When you have the whole head out of the tip top guide in the water your rod should balance fairly well when holding it at the top of the upper grip. If the rod is a little heavy in the butt end that's alright, but don't let it be tip heavy. Tip heavy is not fun when swinging all day. You can always add some leadcore under you backing to make it heavier if your a bit tip heavy. I bet that reel will balance just fine.Hope this helped and good luck.

John Sv
06-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys!
I'll know what to look for as far as what is unbalanced...
Would like to peicemeal in this setup to save some $$$ hopefully.