PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to be a better fly fisher?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-13-2013, 06:57 AM
If you read my posts, much of it is geared towards helping people have a better experience in our wonderful sport of fly fishing.

I don't think of myself as a great fly fisher because I know many of those people and have been blessed with the gift of fishing with them.

I am not usually directing my info to the really top fly fishers who come to our BB because they really don't need the help.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

If you want to be a better fly fisher I recommend a few ideas:

**Be sure that you have a decent basic outfit that has the right line on it for proper loading while casting. This does not have to be expensive either....

CASTING:

Work on your casting with a 5/6/7 weight outfit with a floating line at first. We get many complaints from guides that they get customers who have very little casting skill which makes their job even harder. You can work on your casting at home so when you do go fishing it is easier to get the fly where you wantit to be.

We have lots of good local fly casting instructors.

Also most of the fly clubs will offer fly casting help.

FISHING:

Be sure to get some good intel on a place to fish and be sure that you are going there at the right time of year.

Going with a good fly fishing guide will be the best thing you can do for yourself. Guides end up teaching every day so they can get their clients into some fish. This can be taking people from zero to catching fish or just a few comment to better anglers to tune them up a bit.

Going on some of the outtings of our local fly clubs can be educational and fun too.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Be sure to ask questions on our message board or email me or check with you local fly shop or tackle shop for info on planning your trips.

Jeff C.
06-13-2013, 07:54 AM
I'll second what Bill said about casting instructions. When I started fly fishing I did it without any instruction so I learned from trail and error (and probably developed some bad habits). The first casting class I took was single hand spey casting and it allowed me fish for trout in the Sierras where cliffs and streamside trees/brush limited the amount of room for a back cast. When I decided to pull the trigger on a two handed rod, I took a beginning spey casting class and it opened up a whole new world for me.

I wish I would have taking a class when I first started!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Great feedback Jeff.....you are a superb caster now though.

Everyone can keep improving their cast skills all through their fly fishing career.

This a huge separation in angler's success and enjoyment.

Bob Loblaw
06-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Also fish as much different water as you can. I'm still a lousy caster, primarily because I've spend too mudh time lobbing weighted nymphs under indicators, because thats what the situations have called for. A few days throwing dries and my casting gets much crisper.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Good feedback Bob.....

Years ago when my shop was small and I was on the counter every day helping people with their adventures I would say, "If you go fishing about 6 times for trout in streams you should have at least one good trip."

Also, as you inferred, if you do lots of different types of fishing it will add up to making you a better angler.

Fishing more days a year adds lots to peoples sucess too.

FRSam
06-14-2013, 11:19 AM
I think utilizing a good guide is a great recommendation. Not only will they be much more likely to put you over fish, help you learn the water, show you where to fish, how to fish it and finally be more than happy to help with your casting. A good guide will be able to recognize your needs and if casting technique is on your list be sure to take advantage. Their bottom line should be a happy satisfied customer whether it be catching fish, teaching technique or just telling good stories.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam