PDA

View Full Version : clear lines

rh crank
06-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Hope to do some Stillwater fishing soon and am new to most of this. Much is written about clear intermediate lines but it sounds like they can be squirrely with memory. Is it worth it to invest in one or stick to a regular intermediate line?
Or what about versa-tip lines which allow you to use floaters, interm, type 3, and type 6 all in 15' lengths (I think). Would this be a better option?
And I was given a bunch of poly leaders but was told they're normally used for spey. Dumb question but can they be cast from a single-hand WF floater?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

David Lee
06-08-2013, 04:11 PM
The Cortland Clear Camo (sinks like a type 2) never seems to retain coils , or at least mine doesn't .

They are NOT stiff enough for tropical surf .

I'm sure you can use your polyleaders on a single handed rod w/ a floating line .

Hope this helps !!

D.~

catch&release
06-08-2013, 04:29 PM
The Cortland Clear Camo (sinks like a type 2) never seems to retain coils , or at least mine doesn't .

They are NOT stiff enough for tropical surf .

I'm sure you can use your polyleaders on a single handed rod w/ a floating line .

Hope this helps !!

D.~

I also love the Cortland clear camo, it has almost no memory once you stretch it out and the taper of the line cast like a cannon. You can't go wrong with this line for many Stillwater applications

rh crank
06-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Any opinion on the Versa tips? If they offer so many quick-change options, why aren't they more popular...or are they?

amoeba
06-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Any opinion on the Versa tips? If they offer so many quick-change options, why aren't they more popular...or are they?

yeah. there is low interest/use because they hinge a little and catch on guides on short casts and also sometimes reeling in a big fish which is a nuisance.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-09-2013, 05:22 AM
For "Stillwater" fly fishing (trout in lakes) most use full lines because when you are stripping you don't want any connection/loops.

jbird
06-09-2013, 06:41 AM
The cortland camo is probably the best for low memory. I have used many clear lines and what they all do have in common is they can get sticky in hot weather. The clear lines are always the most frustrating for this reason. So even if your line is laying in nice loose coils, it sometimes comes up in wad.
read and study Denny Rickards stillwater system. Its all about the clear camo lines.

goby
06-09-2013, 06:54 AM
My Clear Camo is about 7-8 years old, and still works perfectly. No memory, and it casts a mile. It's all I use on stillwater.

rh crank
06-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys, things are more 'clear' now.

aaron
06-09-2013, 09:11 PM
The RIO CamoLux is a better casting taper that holds up in warm and cold conditions without getting gummy or coily. Comes with some pretty sweet features for Fall as well.