PDA

View Full Version : Middle Fork Feather and its Tribs Report.

jerryp85
06-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to post a quick report for those interested in the Middle Fork of the Feather:

I fished there yesterday and the flows were just about perfect for the riffles and pools. Lots of Caddis as well as Stoneflies hatching in the evening. I nabbed many fish on dries cast upstream along the banks. They are hitting hard and are extra aggressive once hooked. Almost all aerials. Probably landed about 8 fish and had 14+ hook-ups. All rainbows ranging from 7-14 inches. The water temperatures varied greatly throughout the day due to the recent heat but many parts remained in the lower 50s. There's not much snow pact on the peaks within Plumas National Forest so I imagine this steady flow will not last very long, especially with 80+ degree temps out there. Don't hesitate if you've got the time to get going on the MFF. Happy Fishing!

Jerry

jayclarkflyfishing
06-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the report Jerry. You are right that the runoff is over up here. I expect the flows to be too warm within a week or so to safely catch and release fish. Where did you see water temps in the low 50's? Last week they were climbing into the mid 60's by the afternoon.

Jay

Troutstalker55B
06-09-2013, 07:45 AM
68 at 2pm Last Saturday in the 20 mile house area. Water temps have spiked, Lake Davis is running 67-72.

jerryp85
06-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Jay, I didn't get an official read but it was on the Nelson Creek in the early goings. That whole stretch towards the PCT does not get much sun and is insulated fairly well, but probably not enough to withstand this intense spike in heat.

flyguy1
06-09-2013, 09:53 AM
flows to low and water too warm, don't go not worth it

Scott

jayclarkflyfishing
06-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Nelson Creek is a spring creek and runs cold all season. It will stay in the mid 50's all season long. The MF Feather on the other hand is a different story.

Jay

jerryp85
06-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Nelson Creek is a spring creek and runs cold all season. It will stay in the mid 50's all season long. The MF Feather on the other hand is a different story.

Jay

That would make a whole lot of sense. Thanks, Jay. The good news is that if one is hardy enough to do some serious hiking (Unmarked trails, steep terrain, bush whacking, abundance of Poison Oak, and Rattle Snakes), you can find yourself some nice trout within the tributaries of the MFF. Fortunately for me, I've spent a majority of my life hiking so the fishing part is a bonus to the journey. But remember: Safety First!

jayclarkflyfishing
06-10-2013, 07:07 PM
flows to low and water too warm, don't go not worth it

Scott

74 degree water temps this afternoon below Camp Layman. Stick a fork in her til fall.

Jay

FRSam
06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
The Nelson is a beautiful little creek with very willing brookies and rainbow trout...don't recall ever taking a brown out of there but I wouldn't be too surprised if I did. Nelson Point where it flows into the Feather can be very productive too. It's about a mile hike, if that, down from the parking area just off the Laport road. If you do park & hike down beware of what you leave behind in the car, there have been some break ins reported. Also be very aware that the are a lot buzz-tails in this area particularly along Nelson creek...I would'nt take a dog with me to fish it.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

roywest
06-12-2013, 08:16 PM
I visited Nelson Creek for the first time last August and had a wonderful day exploring the MFF above and especially below it. There was a maybe 6" diameter white pipe running from as far as I could see from the trail up the creek and then down to where it hit the MFF -- is it still there? Certainly made fishing the Nelson itself unappealing.

jayclarkflyfishing
06-14-2013, 08:36 PM
I visited Nelson Creek for the first time last August and had a wonderful day exploring the MFF above and especially below it. There was a maybe 6" diameter white pipe running from as far as I could see from the trail up the creek and then down to where it hit the MFF -- is it still there? Certainly made fishing the Nelson itself unappealing.

That pipe only went upriver a couple hundred feet and only impacted the very lower part of the creek. It was reported to the Forest Service. I haven't been down there yet this season to see if it is still there. Its a tough place top get around but can be very rewarding and is one of my personal favorite creeks to fish.

Jay