PDA

View Full Version : Truckee Monster That Got Off

Troutsource
06-03-2013, 10:09 PM
I fished the Truckee on the CA side Sunday from about 9:30 to 1:30. Landed one chunky 13" rainbow on a size 16 PMD emerger on a 4X tippet fished deep as a dropper to a weighted rubberleg (and also a split shot).

However, the highlight of the trip, and what is now a major highlight from my 10+ years in California (and indeed a lasting memory from my entire 35-year fly fishing career) was the absolute monster that I hooked that got off. I hooked him on the aforementioned size 16 PMD emerger in a deep seam in about 4-5 feet of water, and after about 10 seconds of me raising him up as he shook his head, he broke me off about 15" below the surface in semi-choppy water. Since it was a clean break on the tippet (no curl at the end of the line), I speculate his teeth sliced right through it. This thing I estimate to be somewhere between 25 and 30 inches - but hard to say since I didn't get a great view of him -- mostly just saw a gigantic elongated flash. It was one of those moments where your arms go wobbly, you almost piss yourself wondering how the hell you're gonna land this SOB, and you feel completely outmatched, as if you have no business hooking a fish that big (even on my 10' 7-wt). I think I was more afraid of it than it was of me. It was so big that when it shook its head, instead of feeling like the quick pulsations of a normal trout, it felt like a tug of war with some monster from the deep. I can only assume this was a brown. It was so big it seemed out of place on a river the size of the Truckee -- kind of like a steelhead (but more slender looking, based on the long flashes I saw). My first thought was "Leviathan," since I had looked at this post from Gilligan's Guide Service (http://gilligansguideservice.com/blog/2012/08/21/leviathan/) the night before. Maybe that picture is a good luck charm... I'm still scratching my head and it feels like there's nowhere to file this memory. As if it never happened. Incidentally, this was the exact same spot where my brother hooked back to back 20-inchers a month ago (using a trick Bigfly Jim mentioned to him while loitering in Mountain Hardware). And when I first got there I saw something massive slash the surface (about 5 feet from where I ended up hooking him). I thought maybe it had been a beaver, but there was no tail-slapping sound. Plus a few minutes later another (smaller) fish broke the surface in the same spot for something. This fish was probably the second biggest trout I've ever hooked. I'm looking forward to cracking the code a little more on this river and someday hitting the jackpot. Another thing, as I was leaving a guy told me he had just seen a bear cross the river right where I had parked (maybe also a good luck charm?) -- his wife showed me the picture. He said said he has lived in the area for 30 years and there are often bear and mountain lions in that area and suggested coming either armed with pepper spray or packing heat (I've only ever used pepper spray in Alaska, and don't own a gun). No, I'm not trying to reduce the crowds there...

Now, of course a fishing partner who will go unnamed has planted a seed of doubt in my mind by suggesting that perhaps it was a mutant sucker. Of course I couldn't resist Googling this, and discovered there is an endangered sucker in the Truckee called the "Cui-ui" (http://dcnr.nv.gov/documents/documents/nevadas-fishes-2/) that grows to 26 inches and can live over 50 years. It lives most of the time in Pyramid Lake, but spawns on the Truckee between March and June (kind of like the Lahontan Cutthroats?...which raises another interesting possibility...). HOWEVER, the Cui-ui feeds primarily on zooplankton. Yet I suppose it's possible I could have snagged such a fish. There are also Mountain Whitefish (http://dcnr.nv.gov/documents/documents/nevadas-fishes-2/)on the Truckee, and these fish can grow up to 27 inches (and I've seen smaller ones caught there), so I guess that is also a possibility.

So who the hell knows? Now I'm probably going to toss and turn all night, writhing in doubt. This is starting to feel like a bigfoot sighting. Except it's a proven fact there are monster browns in this river.

Tony Buzolich
06-04-2013, 06:18 AM
When we lived up there it happened several times that I'd have a small planter on and a big brown would come up and take it off my line as I was playing it.

There was an area above Hirshdale that we called the "Horse shoe" that held some big fish in several deep holes. Crayfish flies often worked. Sculpin streamer patterns were good too. Those big rubber-leg flies might resemble a crayfish.

At Tahoe City we'd often stop just to look over Fannie Bridge at those toads there. I think they were a mix of rainbows and browns both and I'm sure they moved up and down the river as well.
Tony

wineslob
06-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Carp.

:cool:

DLJeff
06-04-2013, 08:59 AM
It's probably just as well because you need a special tag and stamp to fish for the Truckee Monster. And they haven't had one of those auctions in quite a few years now. Last one was in 1965 I think.

Don't doubt what you saw and felt. I think just about every decent size river has a few monsters. Usually carnivorous browns that only come out after midnight. I saw one take a swipe at a duckling that lingered in a little back water too long. Momma and the rest of the brood swam off as I hiked over the ridge but this one little guy must have been distracted. When he suddenly realized he was alone he turned and swam into the little current seam that came past and just as a did a huge tan colored shape came up from the dark and caused enough of a swirl to spin the little guy around. I thought "Damn, I don't have any duckling flies with me!"

bigfly
06-04-2013, 10:04 AM
For myself, whether it's a 3-4 second encounter, or a scary pulse-pounding fifty yard dash.
If I didn't see fish........ it never happened.

If you see them and they get away, well, now you are a believer......even if no one else is.

Even when you know they are here, it can still be hard to deal.
(The final learning phase on the T isn't hooking up, it's landing them...)

I once watched a guide friend throw three roll casts at the spot where he had "hooked a rock".
Then..... the rock left for Reno.

The funniest part, is after you know they are there, and you are ready.....you'll pull a 5ft tree branch up, off the bottom, in high flows........A good way to stroke right out....

Jim

Dan LeCount
06-04-2013, 01:17 PM
It was probably a big brown or a bow. I haven't run into any Cui-uis up on the Cali side before, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't think there's very many of them around up there though.(maybe small frys) We landed one rainbow in the 22-23 inch range 3 days ago and I had a beginner lose 2 fish in the low to mid 20s on back to back casts the day after. (one brown and one bow.) The water temps are pretty close to perfect right now for the fishes metabolic rate (they're running on all 8 cylinders) and the rainbows especially are really hungry right now after post spawn. The browns are also chowing a bunch lately with ants(one of their favorites) popping pretty good in the sierras and crayfish starting to get more active. There's also a lot of people crawling all around the rivers too, so try to think outside the box and fish where others overlook.

gilligan
06-04-2013, 04:55 PM
That’s a great story Troutsource! Within the same two week period last year my guests lost three browns of around the same size as that fish we landed. One in Cali, and two in Nevada. I always tell folks it’s part skill and part luck landing one of those monsters. You’ll get ‘em next time!

Matt “Gilligan” Koles

www.gilligansguideservice.com
www.gilligansguideservice.com/blog/
www.facebook.com/gilligansguideservice

Bob G
06-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Hey Matt -

It is a great pleasure and benefit to have you joining in on Kiene's Forum.

For those of you who haven't fished with Truckee River Guide Matt "Gilligan" Koles, he is one of the select guides who is at the top of their game when it comes to consistently getting their clients into very, very large fish.

I look forward to your expertise and hearing your insights. So when time permits, please continue to join in.

Best Regards, Bob

EricO
06-04-2013, 08:15 PM
I finally landed my biggest fish in the Truckee last year. And it's small compared to some of the ones I've seen caught- like some on Gilligan's website! I used to dislike the Truckee river. Not anymore.

EO

Morgan
06-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Troutsource great story. It seems like the ones that got away leave more of an impression than the ones landed.

This guy was at 23". The biggest fish I have landed on the T yet. I have hooked a few bigger. I probably hooked a good dozen fish over 20inches before I landed one. Man I gotta get back up.

Bull_Dog
06-04-2013, 11:17 PM
They all seem to get away sepecially in Nevada. Here is a few shots of not getting away. Thannks for the posts.

amoeba
06-05-2013, 07:10 PM
ummm ---haven't caught a pilot pk fish yet myself - - - - - ssssssssssoooooooooooo:

any potential action left at pyramid? gonna be hot this wknd anyway.

ski_squirrel
06-11-2013, 10:36 AM
truckee river cutty that didn't get away7166

Garfly
06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
That 2nd. fish at a glance looks like a spotted sea trout out of Baffin Bay or Port O'Conner TX!(but no mtns in the sand dunes):cool: