PDA

View Full Version : Jon Boat vs. Power Drifter

Rossflyguy
06-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I've done my research and have decided on one of these two boats. Ill be using it for delta stripers, Lower Sac, Feather, American (Stripers and Steelhead), and Salmon on the Sac River (conventional). Anyone have good pros/cons for these boats?

shawn kempkes
06-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Depending on the boats width a john boat will be a better boat for cruising around lakes and the delta. Will be faster thats about it.

The power drifter will be better on the rivers. Hands down. What it all boils down to is what you want to do with it. Do you want to go several miles up stream and drift back or free drift in the runs and holes. This is the boat you want. A john boat rows like a tank. This is a cool boat but it is kinda like an ok jet boat and ok drifter not really great at either but gets the job done.

I would look for something like this http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/3845022303.html or a used alumaweld freedrifter. You could purchase a bay kit so you can use a prop on it in the delta or lakes and than when you want to fish rivers you can change it out for your pump.
It will be easier on the gas and will handle the afternoon wind chop that kicks up on the delta better than a john boat.

Rossflyguy
06-03-2013, 11:05 AM
I'd want to use it more in the river than the delta. Would this free drifter be good for fly fishing the lower sac?

Rossflyguy
06-03-2013, 11:06 AM
The only conventional gear would be for sac river salmon. Everything else would be fly fishing

shawn kempkes
06-03-2013, 08:56 PM
sent you a pm