PDA

View Full Version : New Week, New Group

Jay Murakoshi
05-27-2013, 09:26 AM
A new week started yesterday. This week I have 14 people fishing. Yesterday was a real good day for all. A few new people introduced to the salt water envoirn. A good wake up call. After getting bait at the island, we hung around fishing for the roosters, small jacks, lady fishing, trigger fish and a few sierra. Then the group started splitting up and going their own ways. A few stayed around the island and found a few BIG roosters up to 40lbs. We fished our way back to the south end of Cerralvo and then headed to the lighthouse for some rooster action. I hooked up on one fish between 25-30lbs but after a 10 minute fish and with the fly line almost on the reel, it came unbuttoned - called CATCH AND RELEASE. Others went out to the Roca Montana for a little skippie action. They weren't disappointed, lot's of small skippies from 5 to albs, the perfect size for beginners. Then one rookie hooked up on a skippie that was close to 15lbs. I heard he was sweating a little after landing the fish
The group from Alaska is enjoying the warmer weather. Not too hot, somewhere around the mid to high 90's. The water temperature is around 81 degrees.
Yesterday there were 14 boats that came up from the East Cape for bait. Sounds like they are still having a bait problem. They are also staying around here and fishing for pargo and along the beaches for roosters. They usually leave around 10:30am and head back. A long 2 hour ride back to the east cape. And to think, some people here think the ride to the island for bait is a long ride. It's about a 35 to 40 minute ride but sometimes shorter. Unlike last year when we had no bait, we have plenty of bait.

I'm staying back the rest of the week and will probably make the trip to the beach on Friday. I'll report more in the upcoming days.

Jay