PDA

View Full Version : King River

The Arborist
05-18-2013, 11:30 PM
My buddy was out on a motorcycle ride and drove by the King River. He said it looked like a good place to fish. Anyone have any info about it?

lcpl.allan
05-19-2013, 09:43 AM
There's some good water there. Below pine flat is hit or miss because it gets fished hard.
If you go above pine flat (takes almost 45 min to an hour) the king and the North fork of the king are great fisheries. There's plenty of water ways in that area that are full of decent sized beautiful fish.
You ever need a fishing partner let me know. I'm still exploring the fresno area, I just moved down here about 9 months ago.

Bob Scheidt
05-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Below Pine Flat Reservoir is the lower Kings. Tailwater fishery, DFG puts some big trout in there. It is mostly a planted fishery, popular with the locals. I fish it a little in the Winter. This time of year, the water is high for irrigation, but you can still fish it. From Alta Weir (about 5 miles below the dam) to the Highway 180 crossing I think it's barbless only, catch and release.
Above Pine Flat it is a freestone river. High right now due to runoff. Fishing is tough here, wild fish.

FlyFisher007
05-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Behind Avocado Lake has a nice stretch and there are some big fish, but like the other guys said it gets fished hard. You can check with Herb Bauer Sporting Goods in Fresno for info or here is a link that posts reports on the Kings, it is the one that says Other California Fly Fishing Reports;
http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl