PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever do this?

DFrink
05-15-2013, 06:14 AM
I haven't been fishing at all, for months.... Busy with work, two little boys, and life in general. I get my only small amount of fishing satisfaction from reading posts on this board and day dreaming about small streams with lots of little trout (and maybe a bign' or two). Yesterday was my day, doctor appointment in the morning and then heading up the hill for some small stream action. I arrive at my destination, change, get all my stuff set up on the tail gate to string up my rod, grab the rod tube and guess what? NO ROD! It was left in the garage out of the tube because for some stupid reason I thought it would be better to store my rods on a wall mounted rod holder. Went for a hike up the stream and drove home pissed. Oh well, there's always next time (which at this rate will be late June).

Someone help me out and post some pic's.

Dan

bonneville54
05-15-2013, 06:48 AM
I've never forgotten my rod.

Waders or boots? More times than I'll ever admit to. Wrong reel? Just three times. Flybox? Twice.

Of course, I'm old.

Scott V
05-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Good going Dan, but I've been there. I am use to driving to destinations, but a friend offered to take me to the Truckee for the first time to show me around. Of course I grabbed everything out of my car and packed it into his car only to find out when we got there that I forgot my rod and reel case.

beachjumper1
05-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Yep drive to north fork feather, rig up , check vest flies,yes, license NO! pitch fit, enjoy drive home,start using check list George

BobVP
05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I have to admit that I have never done this.....either lucky or...

But it does remind me of the days when I used to whitewater canoe a lot and a canoeing friend took one of the whirlwind weekends (that we all used to do) and drove from Milwaukee, WI to a stream in western Pennsylvania only to discover when he got there he had forgotten his.....canoe! Had the paddles, PFD, throw bag, dry-suit, tent, bag and camping gear, food...everything but the canoe. It was back in Milwaukee in the garage of his office. His explanation was that he usually left from home so he would be right next to the boat when he got in the car so he would never forget it, but this time, because he was leaving from work he had needed to remove the boat from the car in the workplace garage and just forgot to put it back on the car when he hightailed it out of there at 4:31 Friday. He ended up finding a rental for the two days and those of us that canoed with him never, ever let him forget his slight error.

Mike O
05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
forgot my license once, fished anyway. didn't get checked, thank goodness.

Charlie S
05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
After about 60 years of fly fishing I have, at one time or another, forgotten everything I own. Don't worry about it, it could have been worse.

Woodman
05-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Forgot my rod a couple of times....sitting on top of my car. Makes a lot of noise when it falls off so I have never lost it, and generally unharmed, but for a few scratches on the reel.

Never put your rod on top of your rig. Coffee's not so great either, but at least that just comes washing over your windshield.

The Arborist
05-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Forgot my reel once. Luckily my fishing partner had a spare spool. He used that (held it in his hand) and I put his reel with 5 wt line on my 1 wt rod. It wasn't pretty, but we caught fish.

I took another buddy out a few months ago. His first time fly fishing. He inherited his grandpa's rod and wanted to get into the sport. He went to the local shop and spent about $600 on new line, waders, boots, a few flies. Drives 1.5 hours to my house. We drive 1.5 hours to our destination and he realized he left the rod in his truck. Luckily we were on a small stream so we took turns using my rod.

It happens.

Bob Loblaw
05-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Forgot my rod a couple of times....sitting on top of my car. Makes a lot of noise when it falls off so I have never lost it, and generally unharmed, but for a few scratches on the reel.

Never put your rod on top of your rig. Coffee's not so great either, but at least that just comes washing over your windshield.

I got into a fight with a lady the other morning at a traffic signal. She made a screaming right turn through a red light right in front of me, forcing me to step on my brakes, and the Venti Starbucks that was on the roof of her car went airborne across 2 lanes of traffic and splatterd across the median. At the next light I pulled up along side and yelled that she needed to slow down a bit and pay a bit more attention. She tells me to go screw myself and that she's paying perfect attention. Oh Yeah, I say....where's your coffee? You should have seen the puzzled look on her face as she stared at the empty cup holder in front of her.

Been fising without my license one time...had the old one in my vest....also fished once with a 3 weight and a 5 weight reel and line. Left the little un at home.