PDA

View Full Version : question for bill

arrow1347
05-05-2013, 06:36 PM
can't get my sage fly rod apart, 2ps ,9' 2 guys pulling , wouldn't budge. need some solutions. thanks barry

Langenbeck
05-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Wrap an ice bag around the connection and wait about 15 minutes. This has worked for me on several occasions.

SHigSpeed
05-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Put one hand on either side of the ferrule, maybe with latex gloves on, and out the rod behind your knees. Use the strength of spreading your knees to pull the rod apart.

_SHig

arrow1347
05-06-2013, 02:02 PM
tried the ice , no good, tried 2 men pulling and twisting , no good, any other options?

SHigSpeed
05-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Twisting can be bad. When you say two guys pulling, how exactly are you doing this? The established way is for each guy to place one hand on either side of the ferrule and pull/spread.

Tug of war is not recommended.

_SHig

Ted S
05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
If the ice did not do it with one application, do it again. Repeated application of cold and warm will loosen up almost anything.

Ted

Langenbeck
05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Arrow, You may now have a one piece rod.��

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-06-2013, 03:00 PM
In almost 50 years we had only one rod that we could not get apart. I guess it does happen....

Sometimes it takes 4 people, so we put two people on either side of the furrel with 8 hands on the blank and twist...in different directions, natually.

Mark Kranhold
05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
If you archive getting it apart buy some orvis ferrule wax and wax the male end. This stuff is the best , keeps section togather and makes the break down free from stuck ferrules.

Larry S
05-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Barry,
Friend of mine had a similar problem. Tried about 1/2 doz of the above suggestions (all of which work at times)
with no success. He called the rod company - think it was Redington - they told him to break the rod apart and
send the pieces to them. So, you never know. Try, try, and try again. Then call Sage.
Some years ago, I bought a 2-piece gadget consisting of wedge-shape soft sticky rubber. It works; my friend never called me.
Good luck and
Best,
Larry S

SHigSpeed
05-06-2013, 04:59 PM
If you're desperate and have a workshop, you could place an adjustable wrench (crescent wrench) in a vise, screw it down to the OD of the male part near the ferrule (a couple wraps of packaging tape couldn't hurt to protect the finish), slip the rod into this fork and go to town pulling.

It would be catastrophic if the vise pivoted or the wrench slipped so be CERTAIN everything is secure. Also be 100% certain that you pull straight or bad things can happen.

You also could put a beater reel on the seat and tap on that with a mallet instead of yanking but you may tear the reel seat off instead. :)

_SHig

Tony Buzolich
05-06-2013, 06:07 PM
I had a similar problem with a sticking SAGE RPLXi that I bought at a competitor's store. Stan (the owner at the time) couldn't get it to cooperate either and simply broke it over his knee, handed me a loaner rod, and said he'd call me when the replacement came in. Great customer service is everything and a week or two later I had a completely new rod.
Tony

rubberguy
05-06-2013, 06:39 PM
i'd spray a little PB BLASTER on the joint, let it wick it's way down and try again. be sure to clean once apart.

SHigSpeed
05-06-2013, 09:12 PM
i'd spray a little PB BLASTER on the joint, let it wick it's way down and try again. be sure to clean once apart.
I loves me my PB Blaster, though nothing beats AeroKroil. Sniiiiiiif! Ahhh...

Garage monkey geek I am.

_SHig

arrow1347
05-07-2013, 12:27 PM
i'll try the blaster, right now.

Jeff C.
05-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Bruce showed me the trick of using a rubber mouse pad cut in half to grip the two sections. Works every time!

Scott V
05-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Bruce showed me the trick of using a rubber mouse pad cut in half to grip the two sections. Works every time!

That is a great idea. I'll have to remember that one, I've got plenty of those laying around.

arrow1347
05-09-2013, 11:37 AM
called sage, told me to cut 2" above male end and send back, they will make me a new tip section. end of problem. thanks everybody for your help. barry