PDA

View Full Version : Help Planning Oregon Trip in June

WinterrunRon
05-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Planning a 7-day pop-up tent camping trip with the family second week of June.

Plan would be to head up the Oregon coast stoping along the way ending near Eugene, Corvalas, Salem or Portland, then head inland half way thorough the trip heading home and see the sights along something other than I5.

Mainly for the family, but they understand my need to be able to fish a bit. Any waters that I should be sure an include along the way? Would N. Umpqua be a stop? I thought May/June were the only two months not to fish it.

Thanks in advance for any help planning.

Larry S
05-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Ron,
The lower Rogue - from Gold Beach up to Agnes can be fun. Good state camp at Lobster Creek and private campground
at Agnes- think it's called Cougar Lane... Get the StreamTime map. Great investment for $5.
Have fun.
Larry S

Cmcculloch
05-04-2013, 07:40 PM
I enjoyed fishing Hosmer Lake and caught an Atlantic Salmon west of the Rockies. The lake is in the shadow of Mount Bachelor and Three Sisters about 45 minutes west of Bend.

hwchubb
05-04-2013, 10:03 PM
May be summer steelhead (and beautiful cutts) on the Willamette and Mckenzie by then. Crane Prairie and the upper Deschutes will give up big - Labrador big, like 5#+ - brookies to the right fly and presentation at that time too.

WinterrunRon
05-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Scenery must be awesome around Hosmer and Crane Prarie Lake. Lot's of choices if you live around Bend OR!
Halfpounders on the Rogue, Larry?

Larry S
05-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Ron,
Might still be some springer salmon around. Halfpounders might not be there yet. I'll try to find better reports/forecasts.
A great area, nonetheless.
Best,
Larry s

shawn kempkes
05-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Ron

The mckenzie will be good for trout. The North Santiam is good for summer steelhead. Check out fishermans bend campground.

Camping in Oregon can be tough you need to make reservations or you might not have a spot where you want to camp.

ps send me your email

WinterrunRon
05-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Ron

ps send me your email

pm sent. Computer crash?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Chuck Campana always goes to the "Holy Water" on the upper Rogue River for the Salmon Fly Hatch (big stone flies) in June.

Larry S
05-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Ron,
Try this link for Oregon reports; click on a different box for different areas.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/southwest/

Best,
Larry S

TyV
05-12-2013, 08:25 PM
"Camping in Oregon can be tough you need to make reservations or you might not have a spot where you want to camp."

Actually, camping in most of Oregon is everywhere and easy to find except on the coast. Unless you need a bathroom/ facilities and prefer a paid site, makeshift camping along most creeks/rivers is awesome, everywhere and the best part is it's free and legal!

Lived there fishing n camping for 16 years and never paid to camp.

If you pm me with what type of fish you would like to target, I would gladly share some suggestions.

Fish_ON

JasonB
05-12-2013, 09:29 PM
"Camping in Oregon can be tough you need to make reservations or you might not have a spot where you want to camp."

Actually, camping in most of Oregon is everywhere and easy to find except on the coast. Unless you need a bathroom/ facilities and prefer a paid site, makeshift camping along most creeks/rivers is awesome, everywhere and the best part is it's free and legal!

Lived there fishing n camping for 16 years and never paid to camp.

If you pm me with what type of fish you would like to target, I would gladly share some suggestions.

Fish_ON

That's funny, I had the same thoughts on that comment. Grew up in Oregon and camped a ton, and rarely paid for camping except on the coast. I find it a bit tougher here in many parts of California, but in either case there's often reasonable options if you browse and explore a bit. Kind of part of the fun for me, and often results in some unexpected treats.

I'd say it's kind of hard to say for sure just exactly what will be tops, but that time of year I'm thinking your main problem will be finding enough time to fish all of the goods. Good luck,
JB

shawn kempkes
05-13-2013, 09:33 PM
That's funny, I had the same thoughts on that comment. Grew up in Oregon and camped a ton, and rarely paid for camping except on the coast. I find it a bit tougher here in many parts of California, but in either case there's often reasonable options if you browse and explore a bit. Kind of part of the fun for me, and often results in some unexpected treats.

I'd say it's kind of hard to say for sure just exactly what will be tops, but that time of year I'm thinking your main problem will be finding enough time to fish all of the goods. Good luck,
JB

You are right there are plenty of places to camp for free. Just not in any official campgrounds anymore. Good luck coming back at the end of the day and your stuff will be there. I can remember when most campgrounds on the north umpqua were free. Also a lot of the National forest and blm camps were free also. Most of the campgrounds on hood are now twenty bucks a night.

JasonB
05-14-2013, 07:17 AM
You are right there are plenty of places to camp for free. Just not in any official campgrounds anymore. Good luck coming back at the end of the day and your stuff will be there. I can remember when most campgrounds on the north umpqua were free. Also a lot of the National forest and blm camps were free also. Most of the campgrounds on hood are now twenty bucks a night.

Yeah, the campground fees everywhere have just gotten kind of silly. Between the steeper fees, and the crowds, the generators, the blinding lanterns, and the occasional late night disco party... etc, I'm usually heading for the nearest forest service land to camp in some peace and quiet. It's funny, in all the years of doing so I've never had any of my stuff stolen at any campsite (though I've always been concerned about the potential, and don't leave much stuff at camp while I'm away). I do love the occasional rare find of an undeveloped, humble campground with minimal amenities (and low fees); they don't seem to appeal nearly as much to the more noisy set, and are often fairly empty. Unfortunately I hardly ever see those anymore, but there are still a few (even here in California).
JB

shawn kempkes
05-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Yeah, the campground fees everywhere have just gotten kind of silly. Between the steeper fees, and the crowds, the generators, the blinding lanterns, and the occasional late night disco party... etc, I'm usually heading for the nearest forest service land to camp in some peace and quiet. It's funny, in all the years of doing so I've never had any of my stuff stolen at any campsite (though I've always been concerned about the potential, and don't leave much stuff at camp while I'm away). I do love the occasional rare find of an undeveloped, humble campground with minimal amenities (and low fees); they don't seem to appeal nearly as much to the more noisy set, and are often fairly empty. Unfortunately I hardly ever see those anymore, but there are still a few (even here in California).
JB

I forgot to mention you need a north west forest pass at 80 bucks per year to recreate on most of the national forest lands too.

TyV
05-14-2013, 06:50 PM
I forgot to mention you need a north west forest pass at 80 bucks per year to recreate on most of the national forest lands too.

I will happily second never having my gear go missing. Never heard of any friends having a bad experience in that way either, though I am sure it happens occasionally. I DON'T worry any less about my gear in paid site honestly.

As for the NW Forest Pass...It's actually $30/year....NOT $80. As well, tons of places that don't require the NW Forest Pass.

shawn kempkes
05-14-2013, 07:36 PM
I will happily second never having my gear go missing. Never heard of any friends having a bad experience in that way either, though I am sure it happens occasionally. I DON'T worry any less about my gear in paid site honestly.

As for the NW Forest Pass...It's actually $30/year....NOT $80. As well, tons of places that don't require the NW Forest Pass.

I live in oregon now and tweakers are rampant in alot of the places I venture out to. I have had a yeti cooler stolen on the Deschutes in one of the Blm Campgrounds. I checked what pass I have and it's called the America the beautiful pass and is 80 bucks and not the Nw forest pass.