PDA

View Full Version : Crowley lake is staring to fish great!

catch&release
05-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Crowley lake is starting to fish well, for a complete update on how crowley is fishing please visit my web site for full details of my last two days of guided fishing!

Langenbeck
05-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Ernie, Typically what Size chironomid do you use on Crowley? Nice pictures and post on your blog!

Larry S
05-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Gordon and Ernie,
Saw the size 14 recommendation. That's big for Crowdley. Interesting! Sometimes we might be fishing 20's.
Heading up there May 14-19 for the first of 1/2 doz Eastern Sierra treks. Both you guys are to be commended
for your reports. Hoisting one for you right now!
Best,
Larry S

catch&release
05-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Gordon, thanks of the kind words. Just got back from another guide trip to Crowley. Fishing was tougher today, storm front moved in yesterday and changed the bite. The bite the last few days took off at 8am with a massive midge hatch but today it took about an hour later for the bugs to start hatching and the fish responded later in the morning and certainly not as good a bite. It was a very slow pick with a few spurts and the fish were smaller than the last few days. I had two clients land 25 trout, one fish in the 18" range with most in the 13" to 14" range but very fat and healthy.

I always start out with a size 14 at Crowley, over 90% of my midges I fish at Crowley are 14's or bigger! I use 12's in very deep water like we are fishing now. I have been starting out in 14 feet of water fishing back into 13 feet and then after the sun light is higher and directly above us move out into 16 feet of water with bigger midges.

Hope this helps!

catch&release
05-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Gordon and Ernie,
Saw the size 14 recommendation. That's big for Crowdley. Interesting! Sometimes we might be fishing 20's.
Heading up there May 14-19 for the first of 1/2 doz Eastern Sierra treks. Both you guys are to be commended
for your reports. Hoisting one for you right now!
Best,
Larry S

Larry, thanks for the kind words, try fishing bigger midges at Crowley, you will be very surprised at the results.

Good luck and take care

Larry S
05-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Ernie,
We'll try the larger sizes. I check the CrowleyCam several times a day. Seldom see waves rolling inside the log boom.
With the low water, doesn't seem like Whiskey is going to be promising again this summer.
Best,
Larry S