PDA

View Full Version : Small streams and creeks

Wren
05-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Has anyone been out to the some of the smaller streams and creeks lately?
What are conditions like right now. Feel like hiking and fishing before it gets to hot.
Thinking about Silver fork or maybe Caples creek.
Thanks for any info.

Dan LeCount
05-03-2013, 06:47 PM
For small water, early season will be a lot better then later this year. Post runoff up until a month or 2 past runoff for medium elevation snowmelt creeks/rivers.(6000-7000') In Truckee were in the midst of our runoff and I think well have another week or 2 of increased afternoon flows on the freestoners (generally.) Don't wait until July or August this year unless youre going pretty high or fishing tailwater or spring fed supported watersheds.

k9mark
05-04-2013, 06:43 PM
I fished Highland creek today and it was low, I mean. August low. I saw no fish activity at all where last year it fished great. Where did all the fish go? Spicer is way low as well. Water level looked at least thirty feet below water mark. Its gonna be a bad year for small creeks and streams. Im going to the Clavey early for sure.

JasonB
05-05-2013, 07:40 AM
For sure it will be a short and early season on the creeks and streams this year. As far as the silver fork, right now it may still be a bit on the high side for a lot of folks tastes. Fishable but higher than summer levels still. I think that many of the creeks and streams with dams will be low already and should be fished asap :-) . Although the Silver fork does have a dam that affects it's flows (via capples creek), it generally follows a more natural runoff pattern with not as much control as some others. This link is very helpful for keeping tabs on various flows (some are dead on accurate, some others are decent estimates) http://www.dreamflows.com/flows.php?page=real&zone=canv&form=norm It would probably be still a bit early for a few other smaller streams, but again there are quite a few with dams that have been low for a bit already and may well start to really warm up soon. It would also depend a tad on specific drainages of course too... some have a bit less than others. Still waiting about another week and a half to 2 for my favorite creek, of course by then I'll be out of town for a bit; I'm hoping that by the time I get back it will not be too warm and low.

Cheers,
JB

jerryp85
05-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Wren, I have fished multiple streams on the South Fork of the AR including Silver Fork as recent as yesterday. The conditions are great and I have landed quite a bit of fish within the past week (browns, bows, and cuts so far). Get out there soon as flow and temperatures are excellent. Lots of Baetis and caddis flies hatching throughout the day. Don't be surprised when you hook into 18"+ rainbows :). Enjoy!

Wren
05-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks all for taking the time to reply with great info. I think I'm headed out Wednesday afternoon.
Il let you know how it goes.

kabah088
05-05-2013, 10:20 PM
I was up the SF on CC. Flows seemed a bit high they were around 11 cfs when I was up there. Could not spot any fish. Ran into another FF and he had no luck spotting any or for bites. Not sure what I was doing wrong :/

kabah088
05-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Forgot to mention i was up there Wed last week.

jerryp85
05-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I was up the SF on CC. Flows seemed a bit high they were around 11 cfs when I was up there. Could not spot any fish. Ran into another FF and he had no luck spotting any or for bites. Not sure what I was doing wrong :/

Alex, feel free to PM me and I can maybe share some of my luck.

SHigSpeed
05-08-2013, 03:59 PM
I did see that the SF was on the plant list. Wasn't sure where on the SF or if it has already happened...

Just sayin.

_SHig