PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops B.C. Stillwater Fishing

troutosarus
05-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Please tell me I am not the only one interested in stillwater fishing in B.C. Kamloops area. Can someone offer a time and place that is productive?

winxp_man
05-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Might want to post this in the still water section just a heads up............ :)

cluless
05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
I fish up there approx. 1 month of the year. One week in spring and three weeks in fall. I fish the Cariboo area just north of Kamloops. Some lakes are fishing well right now in lower elevations. Primarily chironomid s right now. Upper elevation lakes are experiencing ice off or turnover right now. Mid May to first of July is prime. Where? That's the problem up there. Around Kamloops there are hundreds of productive lakes. They plant many types of fish up there. The biggest and hardest fighting fish are the Pennask triploids. In fertile lakes they often to get to be over ten pounds in three years. The Canadian government lists on their website every lake they stock with the amount and type of planters. If you dig deeper into the website you can even look at the fertility of the lake chemistry( total dissolved solids). Once one finds good chemistry and all female Pennask triploids(AF3N) fish that lake. Good chance there are some hogs in there. Don't tell them I told you so!

Another time to fish the area is fall, which is my favorite time. There are very few hatches then. The only major bug activity is the water boatman fall that occurs on some of the lakes. This occurs generally after the first good frost( mid September). The fish often zero in on them and takes are violent. The fish will readily take anything that looks like food. The meat and potatoe fly is the leach(either under and indicator or stripped). I find fall fishing the least demanding on fly presentation. If they are in the shoals they will often eat anything presented to them that looks and behaves like food.

Brian Chan now runs a guide service out of Kamloops. He is a bit pricey but he knows his stillwater fishing. Very nice guy,too. Look him up if you can spring the $ for him.

jbird
05-02-2013, 05:31 AM
I fished with Brian Chan up there a few years ago in the fall. There are hundreds of lakes within a day trip of the town of Kamloops. Hiring Brian was the best move we made and heres why. He fished us one day at the beginning of our trip. Every day after that, he coresponded with us with reports from friends out scouting lakes. He even came to our motel and went over maps with us. Lakes were turning on and off day by day. This proved to be our ace in the hole cause we followed the hot reports.

Off the top of my head, the hot lakes for us were Scuitto, Morgan, Six mile, Roche, Horseshoe...couple others I cant think of now.

Take your boat if you want a serious experience. Toss your tube in too for lakes like Morgan and 6mile.

These lakes I metioned are tip of the iceburg.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2013, 07:42 AM
http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/fly-fishing-bc-lakes-kamloops-british-columbia/

I fished up there some years back with a group from Sacramento including Chris Pasley who really knows it well.

Here is a article I wrote about what I learned from that trip fishing with Chris who lives very near there in Washington State.