PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Air Carry On Question

ICE
04-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Just looking to get some quick answers from those who have flown Alaska Air.

1. Are rods (4pc In tubes) allowed on as carry on? Do they need to be packed in a duffel or can they be strapped to a back pack?

2. Gear Vest / Pack with all components (clippers, flies, weight etc.) allowed as carry on?

Heading to OR for a quick weekend and have a free day and am going to hit the Deschutes around warm springs.

Thanks,

J. Ice

Lee Haskin
04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Hey Ice,

I normally carry my 4-5 rods in a big rod tube, that serves as my second carry on.
My first carry on is my backpack in which I pack: a folded luggage cart for my regular duffle (no heavy wheels), my reels, and one change of fishing clothes, camera, and phone. I have found that with the 50 lb. limit, I need to maximize my duffle weight, especially when heading to Alaska.
I have never had a problem, with TSA, with this setup.
I use this system for all of my travel-fishing trips, and it is the best I've found....so far.

Cheers,
Lee

Darian
04-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Like Lee, I've carried my rods in a large tube but now carry them in a Fish Pond product that allows me to carry my reels/rods in the same case. My other carry-on is a larger messenger bag that stows easily under the seat. Never been questioned or charged extra by Alaska/Horizon.

The only problems I've experienced is that my check in luggage has been roughly treated and misdirected. Can't solve the rough treatment, but I can carry some personal extras in the messenger bag next time.

ICE
04-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the quick responses, that's great info. I'm gonna assume that your flies and other vest gear was no issue as carry on. Thanks again.
ICE

Ted S
04-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Flies have not been a problem for me with TSA or any US airline. The TSA does prohibit any "tools" over 6 inches long. Make sure you don't have any forceps or pliers that are longer than this or you will need to check them. I often carry a pocket knife in my vest, which is still prohibited by TSA, so make sure you don't have one in yours to take on the plane.

Ted

troutosarus
05-01-2013, 06:55 PM
25 years in Alaska flying with my rods either carry on or in my Orvis travel bag and never a broken rod. Alaska Air does respect your rods. They also will respect you guns too.