PDA

View Full Version : Very emotional video on a special Steelhead river.............

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2013, 09:19 AM
http://vimeo.com/m/64766893

Larry S
04-27-2013, 02:09 PM
You're right, Bill. This is sad to watch. In the late 1970's, I saw a similar occurrence on Washington's
upper Kalama River. In the flies only section, one would often see scores of steelhead in shaded runs
and pools in the summer. My last trip to that area, Weyerhaeuser had clear-cut right down to the stream's
edge. Leaving a 50-ft strip or so would have provided a cooling shade as well as some erosion control.
I admit that I have no schooling as a forester; still, I fail to see how great harm wasn't done to the
stream and the fish.
BTW, John Larison has a great book "The Complete Steelheader" as well as two terrific novels -
"Northwest of Normal" and "Holding Lies."
Best,
Larry S

Rossflyguy
04-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Great video, unfortunately that's happening everywhere.

shawn kempkes
04-28-2013, 10:30 AM
The sad thing that they don't mention in this video is that there is a county in oregon that wants to build a dam on the upper river.
There is also a move by some people in odfw to open several of oregons coastal rivers up to harvest of wild steelhead.

STEELIES/26c3
04-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Nice heart-felt piece

That video took me back to my college days at HSU during which time MAXXAM using junk bonds, was acquiring and liquidating old-growth forests faster than we (EF!) could fight to protect them.

At that time, we were trying to save Headwaters Forest (near Fortuna, 6 miles south of Eureka, CA).

2200 year old Redwood trees, the Salmon Creek Watershed, and many sensitive and endangered species therein, depended on this old-growth forest.

Happily, 24 years later, I can read about Headwaters Forest Reserve and the restoration projects going on there to protect and enhance the watershed and its inhabitants.

It's always nice to fight the good fight and win.

It casts a ray of hope on humanity.

Hopefully, this and all mighty "Rivers of Hope" will continue to flourish.