PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Lake, Oregon

Langenbeck
04-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Ice off on Wednesday. A very nice day in the mountains and very few boats for Diamond. For the first almost five hours three of us did not have a single touch and then about two PM started to get better. Found fish in 9-12 feet of water over weedbeds. Finished with 21 fish of which 19 came on chironomids. Went very small-Size 16. Two fish at about 24"s, one at 16"s and the rest about 12"s. My guess the bulk of the fish were put in last fall. Here is Jeff with one of the big fish.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/image_zps8f1d59e1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gordonl/media/image_zps8f1d59e1.jpg.html)

Troutstalker55B
04-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Right on Gordon, thanks for the post! I may be doing a week long Oregon tour at the end of July, does Diamond fish well then?

Langenbeck
04-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Diamond slows way down in July, August and until cool nights come in mid to late September. I do best from ice off until the end of June. I would look at Crane Prarie and fish the channels in July. Indicator fishing for big rainbows, bookies and some nice sized Kokanee.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Gordon/jbird

What lakes in OR would you fish in August?

We might be RVing on the Oregon coast in August to get out of this valley's heat.

Langenbeck
04-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Bill, In August would fish Pelican Bay on Klamath Lake or around the mouths of the Wood or Williamson Rivers where they enter Agency Lake. On the coast would look at Garrison Lake right in the middle of Port Orford.

Larry S
04-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Gordon,
Nice report.
We're looking forward to a mid-May trip to Crowley - Mammoth Lakes area.
Open day today and the "crowleycam" showed a parking lot that looked like
WalMart's when they're having a clearance sale! Size 16 is not small on that lake.
Always enjoy your reports.
Best,
Larry S

FRSam
04-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Gordon I always enjoy your reports. Any recommendations on campgrounds around Diamond Lake with boat launches? I'd be pulling a 16ft Boston Whaler. I'm playing with the idea of hitting Klamath Lake, Diamond Lake then on up to Crane Prarie. I'd love to hit Hosmer as I used to fish it quite a bit back when but I can only pull one boat at a time...no room for the pram.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

Langenbeck
04-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Pete,

The Forest Service has literally hundreds of campsites surrounding the lake and most with a lake view. You can launch your 16 foot boat from either the North Ramp right next to Diamond Lake Resort or the ramp at the South end of the lake. No fee to launch but a $5.00 fee to park your rig. I would launch at the South Ramp as the best fly fishing is in the south end of the lake because it is much shallower. Typically do best in 7-11 feet of water and try to anchor over weedbeds. Have usually done well with a Size 12-14 red chironomid with silver wire ribbing.

FRSam
04-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks...sounds great...hopefully I'll be able to make the trip the later part of May or the first part of June.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam