PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Float

steveg137
04-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Anyone have an idea how the higher flows will effect the Posse-Anderson float?

With significantly higher flows do fish get pushed up or downstream or do they just generally find new lies generally?

Only floated the river a few times, it's always a bit tricky on the one-man pontoon so any advice very welcome.

I'm hoping to see the Fly Shop guide that did me a solid the last time out a month ago.

Steve

dude02
04-26-2013, 09:52 AM
The big thing with flow changes is that the bite can die off for a day or so until the flows stabilize and the fish acclimate. Then things return to normal. All of the runs fish generally the same as they do with lower flows as far as numbers/size of fish. Work the edges more with the higher flows. For nymphing, you just want to lengthen leaders to 8.5 to 9 feet and run SSG/AAA or two SSG's for deeper runs, adjusting weights as needed depending upon depth.

It looks like the flows are holding in the 10,000 range for the past 24 hours so hopefully the bite will be on this weekend. The highest flows of the year won't be until June/July. Based upon a typical year, flows should be relatively steady from here until late May/June.

steveg137
04-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. Will you let you know what we find out.

Cheers steve

Craig Nielsen
04-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Steve:
Dude's analysis is correct, this is usually what happens when they increase the flows on the Lower Sac. Fortunately the fish did not get the memo. They actually bumped flows up another 1,000 to 11,000 out of Keswick. I fished Posse-Anderson with two guests yesterday and it was epic, one was a regular who had his best day ever and the other a rank beginner. We found fish on every pass of every run we fished all day. At the end of the day we decided we hadn't gone for more than a few minutes, certainly never more than five minutes with out a confirmed grab. Pale morning duns were the hatch of the day with a few caddis late. We landed many fish including several trophies over twenty inches with most others over 16", and enjoyed multiple double hook ups, an absolutely magical day for a seasoned angler to introduce his brother in law to the sport. I hope you can visit soon, it doesn't get much better.

The big thing with flow changes is that the bite can die off for a day or so until the flows stabilize and the fish acclimate. Then things return to normal. All of the runs fish generally the same as they do with lower flows as far as numbers/size of fish. Work the edges more with the higher flows. For nymphing, you just want to lengthen leaders to 8.5 to 9 feet and run SSG/AAA or two SSG's for deeper runs, adjusting weights as needed depending upon depth.

It looks like the flows are holding in the 10,000 range for the past 24 hours so hopefully the bite will be on this weekend. The highest flows of the year won't be until June/July. Based upon a typical year, flows should be relatively steady from here until late May/June.