PDA

View Full Version : Groveland/Yosemite

wineslob
04-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Hey all. Heading out on a trip to Yosemite and I'll be bringing my South Bend (bamboo) along for the ride. Even though it's a bit "early" I think the Merced may be fishable. We are not staying in the Valley, but about 25 miles outside on Old Hwy 120 (Yosemite Pines Resort).

Any suggestions? I'll probably only have Friday/Sat evening open to me.

wineslob
04-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Went to the So. Fork of the Tuolumne River at Rainbow Pool Saturday (realize my post ummm, looks wrong, ment scouting on Fri) and waited until the late afternoon to fish (I let all the spin casters leave). Conditions were pretty god for opening day, a bit high, but clear. I got a couple of nice Rainbows in the 8-12" range and a few dinks.

We had gone to Yosemite Valley in the morning, but left by 3:30 because of the ridiculous crowds. Parking was insane. The Merced was running high as would be expected, but not terribly so. Not much snow around the rim of the valley, but the waterfalls were spectacular. Bridalveil got anyone that dared venture near the bottom soaking wet.

Judging by the water levels plus considering the heat, this is gonna be a VERY early year. I don't doubt that the higher elevations will be ready to go in early June. Very different from last year.

Mike O
04-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Three weeks ago, the Merced and South fork Merced at the Ahwannee looked mighty nice

Randy Lee
04-30-2013, 06:48 AM
I haven't been to Yosemite in years. All though people that I have talked to say it is stii as beautifil as ever. The down side seemed to be the park rangers are very people unfriendly. This info came from several different sources and way different walks of life. I was wondering if any body else had encountered this.