PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid last Sunday 4/21

Chris Evison
04-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Wound up next to Rob and his two clients. Arrived around 9:20 and in water at 10am. Fished to 5:45. One of Rob's guys had 5 fish in 1 1/2 hrs under the cator before I got in the water. Gee, think I'll indicator fish. I set up between Rob's group on left and another friend on right side of me. Managed 18 to hand and LDRed just as many, also missed just as many takedowns. When I got in water friend on right was stripping with no luck. He switched to cator and started hooking some fish.

Best flies were black AP style nymphs. Rob's guys hooking up steadily on black Maholo nymphs. I was getting them with a red and black nymph (prince style) and a brown leech. I never landed a fish on a midge pattern, that is a rare thing.

Late in afternoon the stripping action picked up as one of Rob's clients started connecting. He was getting hit right at the ladder, so I switched over. It is really fun to strip on the bottom when the fish are chasing like this. Of course I start snagging Cui-ui while Roy is sticking trout 70ft to my left. Other guy is still getting fish under the cator. After backing in a few Cui-ui I quit for the day.

Action was sporadic. Periods of fast action followed by lulls. When fish were in it was crazy good. A couple of times I would miss a take down, cast again to same spot and get hit before flies had a chance to settle.

Wind in the face all day with wave heights 1-2ft. After lunch wind and waves picked up before settling down late in the day. As wind settled muck moved in, this is when The Cui-ui showed up. A good day on Pyramid.

It pays to get the wind in your face! Back out on Friday to test the full moon slow down theories. Will post again on the weekend.

Morgan
04-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Those full moon theories are the real deal. Chris a bunch of buddies and I will be out campn 2-4th. Can't wait!

jigger
04-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun. Just about perfect really.
Thanks for the report

Bull_Dog
04-26-2013, 07:44 PM
That was my best day of the year with clients for sure. 2 anglers 50 fish. The wind was the deal. It was nice having the beach to ourselves. That is usually the case. Its a big lake. It was really cool to see the woolybugger bite take off in the mud line. It will be interesting to see how Chris did today.

Rob Anderson
pyramidlakeflyfishing.com