PDA

View Full Version : flats fishing destinations

mems
04-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Aloha headed to Christmas Island on tuesday for a week on the flats with some bluewater thrown in for some table fish. After that it is one day back at school teaching then off to Palmyra and guiding for the Nature Conservancy for a week. Should be fun. I will post some pictures when I get back. It should be fun, we can now target any speices on the flats at Palmyra. They have been catching lots of big GT's. Wish me good luck, Mems.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-22-2013, 07:51 AM
My father, Fred Kiene, was stationed on Palmyra Atoll during WW II in the US Navy working on aircraft that were returning from the battles in the South Pacific.

About 50 years later he and I went to near by Christmas Island which was really fun for him.

Darian
04-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Aloha Don,.... Sounds like you're headed for some real action. Good luck on both trips. Get some good pic's for us. :cool:

FISHEYE
04-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Don, I guess it's a tough life but if someone has to do it, it might as well be you if it can't be me. Have a great trip!

mems
04-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks Guys, we are excited about the GT fishing at CI and the guys I am going with all want some bluewater action. We are going to try and fish around the entire island in one day. I can't wait to cast to bonefish that readily take a fly! I love wading on the flats and all the various fish you run across.
Palmyra should be very interesting. My guide friends say it is crazy how hungry the fish are there. I like guiding in Hawaii, but get frustrated when the fish don't eat. My one friend told me if you cast behind the bonefish, they will turn and come 50 feet to eat it. It will be fun releasing all those fish for my clients. The diving is supposed to be wonderful there as well, but there are plenty sharks cruzing the depths. I will post a bunch of pictures for you guys, Don.

Flyboy_AK
04-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks Guys, we are excited about the GT fishing at CI and the guys I am going with all want some bluewater action. We are going to try and fish around the entire island in one day. I can't wait to cast to bonefish that readily take a fly! I love wading on the flats and all the various fish you run across.
Palmyra should be very interesting. My guide friends say it is crazy how hungry the fish are there. I like guiding in Hawaii, but get frustrated when the fish don't eat. My one friend told me if you cast behind the bonefish, they will turn and come 50 feet to eat it. It will be fun releasing all those fish for my clients. The diving is supposed to be wonderful there as well, but there are plenty sharks cruzing the depths. I will post a bunch of pictures for you guys, Don.

Don have fun. A new friend who has a hangar next to me (remember me telling you about it when we fished in November) is headed to CI also on Tuesday. They are staying at Sharks Place, fishing with Peter, TJ and Manuana. You will probably see them on the flight down, and out on the flats. They are fishing with Hennessy over the weekend on Ohau. Names Steve, will be toting my Beulah 13/15 as carry on I am sure as its a 3 piece rod. Freak him out by telling him you know that rod... tee hee...

Getting out on the Bluewater is a matter of getting the wind right. They won't take those outriggers out there and I don't blame them. Sharks Place had a decent off-shore boat, we did it one day all the way east to Korean Wreck. Did well on the Wahoo and GTs, teased them up and cast a fly to them. Hennessy and Dave left them a bunch of conventional gear offshore stuff.

Bonefishing is awesome. I could cast towards them when they were coming on a bad line say out 200' with a 60' - 70' cast, and strip the fly and they would turn. Strip it until they definately saw it and were headed towards it... Pull it out with 30' load and make the money shot to put it 10' in front of them in their bucket... They would charge it. We got lots of 6-8 lbers and Mike got some double digits. Do not rule out the schools of cruising Milkfish. They won't eat on the flats, and ride high in the water collum but your heart gets racing thinking it is a school of monster bones. Use a heavy fly and cast right at the lead of the milkfish pack. Many times I hooked up a big bonefish swiming with them that you could not see, but it was down on the bottom right under them. Guides freaked out because they kept telling me don't waste the time they are cruising Milkfish... Ya they were but da big bone was right with them.

Longing for the seven months until I get down there again. Right now I am dreading the forecast of snow tomorrow and I am ramping up to fish with Jay M in LaVentana in a month from now... Smak them hard my friend.