PDA

View Full Version : Deer Creek hatch

Mike O
04-21-2013, 02:51 PM
First, let me calm the martinets in the group by saying that I know Deer Creek is closed, and I wasn't fishing.

Hiked up the DC Trail with my son's Boy Scout troop yesterday, and spent the night. It was a pretty walk, and the creek looks beautiful. Water is super clear and cold (no temp taken).

There were small caddis motorboating around the surface of the flats when we got to the camp area.also some small mayflies along the edges. I saw a couple fish laying low in the water, but nothing rising...then the rocks rained down, and they scattered.

About 3:30, there was a hatch of some pretty ginormous mayflies. They were brown, bodies about 3/4 inch long and twin tails which trailed behind them by at least an inch. Wings seemed to be clear, but never got one to hand to look at it closeup.

There were sure a lot of them. They were flying around for over an hour, then the numbers dwindled. Saw a couple of rises (since the rock throwing had stopped) and the fish were decent sized.

Didn't watch the water much this morning, but did see one fish break the water downpool.

I know it will probably be busy out there next weekend, but it was worth the dream.

Mike O
04-21-2013, 04:37 PM
also a few of these around 6887

Mike O
04-21-2013, 11:22 PM
A moment of quiet conversation