PDA

View Full Version : Shad Leaders (swing)

Brett R.
04-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Hey Guys,
I was just in the shop last week and bought up a ton of Maxima to tie my leaders. Mostly for my personal learning etc. (junior Novice leader maker) haha. Just curious as to what anyone recommends for a good leader formula for swinging shad flies. I'm gonna use 8wt rod, more so because I haven't experimented with my leaders on my 8wt yet. I'm just trying to expand my knowledge and having a lot of fun in the process.

Thanks, Brett

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-21-2013, 12:14 PM
On a fast sinking line in moving water they have always recommended a short ~4 foot leader to keep the fly down.

Maybe a short 1' to 2' butt section of 20# Maxima with a perfection loop on the end then 4 feet of 6# Maxima.

There are a "million" ways to go that will all work.

winxp_man
04-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Last year I ran a 7wt rod with type 6 24' integrated sink tip line with Berkeley Vanish in 10 lbs leader. Flies that work are plenty some more then others. Also with the way the water is going this year you might not want quite type 6 sink maybe a type 3. I got a Versi Tip II Kit for my single hand rod if I have to use it because of a broken switch rod.

WinterrunRon
04-21-2013, 06:54 PM
You really don't need to tapper the line if you're using a sink tip. 3-5ft of Maxima 8lb test using a Duncan Loop to the fly and you can fish this setup all year in all the usual good spots and catch shad. Most shad flies are weighted anyway. I would dicourage you from using 6lb test Maxima based upon my experience. I've tried several different spools of this stuff and it breaks way too easy (ith a pull between the hands in fact, try it). Cheap 6lb Ande (a million yards for pennies) in 6lb test has same diameter and is much harder to break. Good luck gettin' after 'em this year.

Brett R.
04-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Cool info guys! Thanks! I have to tell you though, last year we pounded the shad using a floating line and weighted shad flies. Any thoughts on leaders for floating lines too?

Thanks

Terry Thomas
04-22-2013, 07:56 AM
If you "pounded them last year," why would you want to change?

WinterrunRon
04-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Cool info guys! Thanks! I have to tell you though, last year we pounded the shad using a floating line and weighted shad flies. Any thoughts on leaders for floating lines too?

Thanks

Umm, where are you going with this? I'm with Terry. You pounded the shad and did it with a floating line and tappered leader but you're asking for advice on leaders for floating lines which is what you used last year to "pound" them. :confused:

Scott V
04-22-2013, 09:16 AM
For shad I keep it simple. I use the butt section of an old tapered leader if I have one laying around and some 8 pound flouro. If I don't have that then I just use a 20 pound butt section and 8 pound for the tippet, both subsurface and top water.

Brett R.
04-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Oh I'm sorry. Last year I was just using store bought leaders. I've started tying my own now and was just looking to see what leaders, length etc. that other people were tying. I'm just fooling around and tying different leaders as part of my learning process.

Brett