PDA

View Full Version : Scadden Outlaw Avenger, Hobie Pro Angler, NUCANOE Frontier 12

okkabausa
04-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Which one is the best for portability? Please don't include trailer in your decision making but roof rack and wheels is OK.

rickw
04-20-2013, 11:59 AM
I have 2 Hobie Outbacks (love ‘em!), a Hobie Pro Angler 12 (REALLY love this boat!), and a Scadden Rampage (Great boat for Baum). Each boat is great for different reasons. The Outback and the Pro Angler are great for covering distance and stealthy approaches. I also don’t worry about the weather with these boats (i was on Davis Lake last year on a club outing when the winds kicked up to 40+ mph). The Rampage is great for water I wouldn’t/couldn’t take the kayaks in (Baum - shallow, can’t use Mirage drive, small ponds, fast moving water).

For just portability, the Scadden hands down cannot be beat. The Rampage packs into 2 packages: a rolling suitcase for the boat and my duffel with oars, pump, life jacket, etc.
While I have put the Outback’s on a roof rack, it takes a little work. The Pro Angler, at over 100 pounds, is doable, but takes thought, time, and muscle for one person (careful with your back!).
Hope you find this helpful. PM me if you want to talk more.

Tony
04-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I have a frontier. It is 78 lbs. It goes on a roof rack easily. It is very stable. I stand up in it to fish in rivers. Additionally, NuCanoe is now making a casting bar for added stability. I have ordered a casting bar but it is not here yet.

I would add an anchor trolly which you can buy from Nucanoe so you can run the anchor off the front and back of the frontier.

As to transport across land. there are 2 scupper holes so there are couple of kayak carts which have prongs which go through the scupper holes. I have the one that is not the seattle sports cart. I cannot remember the name of the cart. Anyway, the frontier is easy to walk with on that kayak cart.

It does not track quite as well as a full on kayak but is stand up stable and has good upriver speed. You can also put a tolling motor on the back of the frontier.

okkabausa
04-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful info.

Mario

Lane
05-04-2013, 07:38 AM
I also have a Nucanoe Frontier and a Scadden Rampage. I love both of these boats. The Frontier is great if you want to get in the water quickly - just slide it out of the bed of the truck or off the roof of the car and put it in the water. It's a little heavy, but a kayak cart, or the Nucanoe dolly works fine if you have to carry it yourself. It's extremely stable for a kayak, and as Tony mentions, it's very easy to stand in and if you need the added stability you can get a casting bar for it.

The Scadden Rampage is also an awesome boat. It's fairly easy and quick to set-up, but does take a bit more time to get on the water than the Nucanoe. The rampage is very stable, but not as easy to stand on. In white water and fast moving rivers is where the Rampage really shines.

As far as transportability, the Scadden boat will pack down into a smaller package, but you do have to set it up and break it down and the time doing that is less time on the water. You really can't go wrong with any of these choices, but each has a trade off.