PDA

View Full Version : Middle Yuba: cutthroat genes ?

Steeliejunkee
04-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Caught this trout in the middle yuba canyon by graniteville via the "tehama ravine trail" it seems to me that it has some cutthroat phenotypes (gene expression you can see) with tan shoulders and spots concentrated towards the tail and I remember some slash marks but I dont think they show up on the pic. Public record say an upper trib called macklin creek has a population of lahontans, in geological time this area would have been connected to western nevada by the ancient eocene yuba river that drained massive lakes after extreme glaciation periods. Interested to see what some of you trout bums thought, thanks again.

Ralph
04-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Less than 2 miles upstream of your trail there is a creek that has had a small, but self-sustaining population of pure cutthroat since the 60's. It is protected from upstream invasion by rainbows by a fish barrier, but there is nothing that would keep the LCT from swimming down. Macklin is quite a ways upstream, but who knows?

Steeliejunkee
04-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Nice, the one the only Ralph C, I grew up in nevada county by the way. I was suprised to find this fish especially on the upper yuba, seemed like a somewhat rare fish maybe. In another middle fork I have seen the similiar cuttie style but much bigger, the middle fork american a little below cash bar, dardenella creek and the old historic powerhouse, thought they were browns at first but on second look you could tell they had really tan shoulders rear spots and slashes.
Cheers
Ralph

John Sv
04-19-2013, 10:34 AM
deleted per other forum user's request