PDA

View Full Version : New Outcast Fish Cat Scout vs Scadden Renegade

esummers
04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Finally ready to throw down on a pontoon. Looking to use it on moving water and lakes. Rivers like the Madison, Beaverhead, Missouri, Lower Sac, etc. Would just be for myself - no passengers.

Was almost ready to throw down on the Scadden renegade when Outcast comes out with the new Fish Cat Scout.

Scout: $650, 7', vinyl bladders, 5 yr Warranty
Renegade: $1k, 9', bladderless, Lifetime Warranty

I sure like the reputation of Outcast and AIRE over Scadden. That being said, I have no first hand experience dealing with Dave.

Considering the Outcast is $350 less and has proven customer service, I'm thinking of going with the Scout. Wondering if the length difference is a consdieration (2 foot difference) - seems like the longer renegade would be better on lakes and even rivers.

Anyway, any opinions would be appreciated. Also, will either of these companies be at the open house on Saturday?? Thanks in advance guys......and gals maybe :).

GreggW
04-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Hi e - I have Renegade and love it. Solid built boat. Few little problems have been taken care of by Dave w/no charge. I think that Dave measures his length from back of a pontoon all the way around the outside to the bow. So real length is less than 9 ft. Don't know the Scout.
Gregg

esummers
04-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks Gregg. Can you tell me the few little problems you had with your boat? Also, would you recommend buying the boat through Cabellas or directly through Dave...same price. Also, did you upgrade your oars....Thanks

GreggW
04-23-2013, 09:19 PM
I had two problems: after a couple of uses, the seat back support popped out the top of the seat. I called Dave and they sent me another one right away. Second problem was that original foot bar put my knees in my face so they sent me one that better fit my long legs. Despite what I have heard, they shipped these things out promptly for free. I would recommend buying your boat from Dave if only to establish a connection with Dave/the factory. also, if you want any accessories he might give you a package deal. The benefit of Cabelas is that you might get your boat faster. I talked to Dave about the oar length issue. He recommended that I stay with the std. shorter oars. I have only used them in a bass lake and what he said is true. You just take little strokes since the boat is so little and light. The boat moves very fast and allows me to get to places that float tubers would have to work hard to get to. Once I am there, I just put my feet with fins down in the water. It's awesome. I don't know about being in a river with current.

Lane
05-04-2013, 03:26 PM
I've never been on an Outcast pontoon, but I have a Fish cat float tube and it has been excellent. I've owned two boats made by Scadden and I've definitely gotten my money's worth from them. Dave's always provided good customer service, although delivery seems to be a little slow during show season, as he's taking in and processing so many orders at the same time. I've had both the Rampage and the Skykomish Sunrise and both have been fantastic boats. The only issue I've run into is that the seat on the Rampage had some seams give way and the support bars came through the torn seams.

Other than that minor annoyance, the quality on Dave's boats seems to be very good. You probably couldn't go wrong with either choice.

esummers
05-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I've never been on an Outcast pontoon, but I have a Fish cat float tube and it has been excellent. I've owned two boats made by Scadden and I've definitely gotten my money's worth from them. Dave's always provided good customer service, although delivery seems to be a little slow during show season, as he's taking in and processing so many orders at the same time. I've had both the Rampage and the Skykomish Sunrise and both have been fantastic boats. The only issue I've run into is that the seat on the Rampage had some seams give way and the support bars came through the torn seams.

Other than that minor annoyance, the quality on Dave's boats seems to be very good. You probably couldn't go wrong with either choice.

Thanks for the feedback. My Renegade arrived yesterday. A little disappointing that my lightspeed oars and fins are on backorder which they didn't tell me when I ordered them. A slip of paper that came with the boat notified me So they sent me the stock oars - I guess I'll get to keep those, so that's not all bad. Also, the male piece of the buckles for the seat are missing so I can't connect the seat. I'll have to call Dave on Monday. I'm not in a hurry - so it shouldn't be a big deal. The boat itself seems awesome. I was expecting some minor issues with delivery\service from what I read so my expectations were set appropriately. I'm sure I'll be happy in the long run.