PDA

View Full Version : Carmen Lake thaw?

Mike Stroud
04-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Any reports from Carmen Lake? With the snow melting fast, I'm wondering if the lake is now accessible?

Scott V
04-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Any reports from Carmen Lake? With the snow melting fast, I'm wondering if the lake is now accessible?

Kirman maybe? Only Carmen I know of is in Alaska. Seeing as it just snowed this week, I am not sure if Kirman is thawed. No matter what it isn't open til the 27th.

bigfly
04-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Just watch out for the Rattlers coming out the den just off the road.
Last spring it was scary. They were all over the road.
That ought to slow down the fisherman hatch.....

Scott V
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM

I have yet to see a single rattler out there. Heck I rarely ever see the darn things, they seem to leave the area when I show up.

Mike Stroud
04-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Hey Scott, thanks.
Yep, Carmen, Kirman, it goes by both names. Lot of warm weather will thaw things out quickly up there. Just curious if anyone has been hiking up there lately.

Mike Stroud
04-18-2013, 07:49 PM

Thanks bigfly. I'll keep a look out. Last time I was up there, it wasn't the rattlers you had to worry about. I was up there on a solo trip and came upon only one other backpacker camping at the lake. He was packing a side arm because he had seen a Mtn. Lion the day before.

bigfly
04-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Generally, I don't worry about those unless I'M walking, around dusk.
It is unlikely that you will see it before the attack.
Unless you are gun-fighter fast, (behind you) you probably won't clear leather....
A gun is mostly extra weight.
Last year there was a clear bear den above Junction lake on the south hill side.
Also got to watch fish running up-stream next to the trail/road.

Jim