PDA

View Full Version : It was windy at Dillon's Beach on Tomales Bay..............

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Too windy for any kind of fishing.

They were getting nice big dungeness crabs off the pier at Lawson's Landing. Season is open till the end of June.

People were out in boats on a big minus tide clamming on the far mud flat.

The duns there are blowing / moving to the south now and the north end is exposing land the the native Americans use to camp on years ago. Some have found beads, pottery and arrow heads. After some hours of searching I found a nice large piece of jet black obsidian that a native American chipped off while making arrow heads probably way over 100 years ago. Imagine how many clams and crabs they had to go after in those days?

Did a little metal detecting......got one dime, one nickel and two pennies and various pull tops plus one very large metal washer.

Locals said the Leopard Sharks were in up the bay spawning now too.

Some salmon were caught straight out about 10 miles on the opener.

Cold and blowing but still nice to get over to the beach.

David Lee
04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Good stuff there , Boss !!

I used to Hunt Pacific Black Brant out there when I was a kid - some of the Winter (Dec.-Jan.) storms were almost unreal .... blowing sand would chafe all exposed skin . We Hunted the area just North of where Walker Creek dumped in , it was/is called Toms' Point . In the evenings , Sea Lions would fish thru our decoy spread , they usually caught Starry Flounder and what looked like California Halibut .... most I saw caught looked to be in the 5-8 Lb. range . Hog Island had what was left of a small house foundation on it - as a 13 year old , I often wondered how hard it would have been to have lived on that tiny chunk of land out in the Bay ...

Still a remarkable and beautiful place !!

D.~

Tony Buzolich
04-16-2013, 07:55 PM
As a kid we used to poke-pole fish on the north side of Dillions. I remember it as being very rocky that direction and we'd wade during low tide in our shorts and freeze our butts off. Every year they'd send us a calendar with a big clam on it showing all the minus tides for the year.

Tent camped their with my folks one forth of July. We had stopped in West Sacramento to buy fireworks on the way. After setting up camp my dad went across the road to chop some firewood for that night. I went over to follow him and a neighbor camp's wiener dog chased me into a ditch and bit the hell out of me biting my butt and the back of my legs. My dad threw his hand axe at the dog, people were yelling, I'm crying, etc. We had to pack up and leave right then and they took me to the Petaluma hospital for shots.

Damn, we had to drive all the way home the same day, and never did get to shoot off those fireworks :)
Tony

Terry Thomas
04-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Tony
I remember those calendars.

Loomis 1
04-17-2013, 07:36 AM
My wife used to like to RV at Dillon's. We have had tents blow away, and once I thought my 5th wheel was going to flip over. I have sat in my boat in camp with a beer and a cigar for days on end waiting for the wind to give me a break so I could get out. I have been calling that area "Blow-dega" for years.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Good stuff there , Boss !!

I used to Hunt Pacific Black Brant out there when I was a kid - some of the Winter (Dec.-Jan.) storms were almost unreal .... blowing sand would chafe all exposed skin . We Hunted the area just North of where Walker Creek dumped in , it was/is called Toms' Point . In the evenings , Sea Lions would fish thru our decoy spread , they usually caught Starry Flounder and what looked like California Halibut .... most I saw caught looked to be in the 5-8 Lb. range . Hog Island had what was left of a small house foundation on it - as a 13 year old , I often wondered how hard it would have been to have lived on that tiny chunk of land out in the Bay ...

Still a remarkable and beautiful place !!

D.~

Strangly, I did see about a half dozen rusty shot gun shells out on the mud flats? I knew someone was duck hunting there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-17-2013, 08:22 AM
My wife used to like to RV at Dillon's. We have had tents blow away, and once I thought my 5th wheel was going to flip over. I have sat in my boat in camp with a beer and a cigar for days on end waiting for the wind to give me a break so I could get out. I have been calling that area "Blow-dega" for years.

The locals say that after the 4th of July the wind lays down some. July though October are good months for fishing with less wind on average.